Friday 15 August 2014

Gamescom 2014, Day 3 -- Hellraid, Dead Island 2 Has No Story, Shadow Realms Is Less Nerdy Than D&D And Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Has A Badass Claptrap

Written By: Tyler




Hello again people, and I hope you're enjoying Gamescom. I was occupied with a bunch of stuff today so I didn't get to stream every demo shown on IGN like I did yesterday, but I have a little bit before bed so I wanted to take a moment to give my impressions on a few of the demos shown today. I only picked the ones I was interested in, or games I never heard of. Tomorrow I will have a more complete article.



Hellraid -- Hellraid is a first-person hack n' slash game. First-person melee combat has a habit of not being that fluid, so I hope Hellraid can get it right. It'll have light RPG elements and is "somewhere in between RPG and action." It was described as Dead Island meets Elder Scrolls and I think that seems like a decent comparison.

It has three gameplay modes; mission mode, story mode and arena. Story mode is obvious, and with mission mode you basically just do missions and get points. Arena mode is just basically survival. You can play all three modes in single-player or co-op.

I don't really think Hellraid will be much, but it'll probably be okay. Since there apparently isn't a lot of RPG in this and exploration is there but not on the scale of an Elder Scrolls game, it's pretty dependent on the combat and I don't think, from this demo (and yes I know it's early), that Hellraid will deliver an exciting experience.



Dead Island 2 -- Dead Island 2 takes place in California and promises 8 player co-op gameplay. I'm going to be honest: as long as it gives me a similar experience to the first Dead Island, minus the bugs and glitches, I'm in. I am all for playing an open-world zombie game with someone.

It doesn't appear to change the formula much, but it is evolving it a little bit. Now you can do things like light the grass on fire, Far Cry style, or dual wield weapons.

Oh wait, supposedly you can't really beat the game, because it keeps going and you keep getting missions. So... there isn't a story? I don't know about this. Even though Dead Island had a stupid story, it was still something driving the game forward and this worries me. I think Dying Light will shit all over this.



Shadow Realms -- I was a little confused about this RPG. It's a more modern Fantasy Bioware game but they seem to be doing something a little different this time around.

The core gameplay is 4 vs 1 where the other players where one player is basically a Dungeon Master (Shadowlord in this game) and can take control of everything while you and your friends team-up and try to beat the missions.

It has elements of Bioware with the conversations and whatnot, but they're putting a spin on their own formula. It could be good but I don't know. I have faith in Bioware, but I'll have to wait and see when it comes to this game.



Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel -- In this demo we got to see Claptrap. I love that little bastard, so I'm down.

It starts with them putting points into his skill tree. I enjoy that he has a highfive skill where if you return it  you'll get buffs but if you don't only he does.

Aside from that, this is Borderlands and I'm okay with that. I would have preferred Borderlands 3 on more powerful hardware rather than this spin-off on last-gen (and PC), but they are doing a few new things with it so I'm up for another Borderlands adventure. They're fun with a friend.




No comments:

Post a Comment