Sunday 3 August 2014

This Week In Games, August 3 - 9, 2014: Sacred 3, Road Not Taken, Metrico, The Swapper, etc

Written By: Tyler

Hello people, and welcome to another addition of "This Week In Games," the weekly On The Gamely feature where I talk about how great Guardians of the Galaxy was.

Each week I go on Gamespot.com and see what games are coming out this week. I then pick some of the more interesting ones and I do a quick write-up about why you should avoid them or play them. I tend to pick games that are seeing their first release, but I do pick ports once in a while, and I go by North American release dates... sorry other parts in the world who aren't 'Murica, but I live in Canada so that's how I'm running things.


August 3

It's Sunday, do something besides game! Or just play an older game. Either way, there are no new releases on this day.



August 4

Jet Gunner


Coming Out For: PC

Genre: Platformer
Gameplay: http://store.steampowered.com/app/314250/

Jet Gunner is hitting Early Access this week, and it's an homage to the games of the 8-Bit era. At one point, I think that was a really good selling point but indie games have come so far and we're so used to seeing this kind of thing that the game really has to do something interesting with the nostalgia, like Shovel Knight did. So is Jet Gunner up to the challenge? Obviously it remains to be seen but for what it's worth it looks like a pretty good, fast-paced side-scroller. The visuals don't really pop to me, but I've only seen the video in the link above, but it will probably be a solid game. I'm just not entirely sure if it'll have a lot to offer that a ton of other indie games (and NES games) haven't already. 



RPG Tycoon 



Coming Out For: PC, Mac

Genre: Simulation/RPG
Gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCwlh8bpqhg
RPG Tycoon is another game that is hitting Early Access, and this one is promising to be a mixture of an RPG and simulation games like Roller Coaster Tycoon (and other Tycoon games). Though I've never actually played any Tycoon games, this one interests me because of the RPG elements. You run your kingdom and heroes come and do quests. I'm not sure how much depth it's going to have to it, but I enjoy when games blend simulation and RPGs together, like Recettear a few years back. It'll be interesting to see how RPG Tycoon develops as time goes on.



August 5

Sacred 3


Coming Out For: PC, PS3, 360

Genre: Action-RPG

Gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFCURzNgCYo

Sacred 3 is the big release of the week for me. It was released on the 31st elsewhere, but it's hitting North American soil August 5th. I'm a big fan of the second Sacred and consider it one of the finest examples in the genre, and an underrated gem because I don't think it got amazing reviews across the board, so I was really looking forward to this... until just now.

I've been avoiding reading much of anything about it because I just wanted to go in as blind as possible because discovering the different features of games is appealing to me. Usually this works out fine, but I read a little bit about Sacred 3 and I am really scared now that I'm going to be let-down. They streamlined the experience, got rid of the open-world aspects, dumbed down the RPG elements and instead give us levels and a lot of actions. I'm very cautious now, but I already pre-loaded it so I'm in it for the full haul. A review will come for it.


Road Not Taken



Coming Out For: PC, Mac, PS4, Vita
Genre: Roguelike/Puzzler

Gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iqz16Khp61I

Boasting nice music and great 2D art, with the promise of procedurally generated levels, Road Not Taken seems to be a slightly interesting take on the Roguelike. It's got puzzles, for one, and your character is a Ranger who is trying to save children... by pushing and levitating objects. I've read that the puzzles are deceptively difficult, so this could be a good game to sink your teeth into, especially if you're a fan of the genre.



Mind: Path of Thalamus


Coming Out For: PC
Genre: First-Person Puzzler
Gameplay: http://store.steampowered.com/app/296070/

If the video that plays when you access the Steam page for the game is any indication, the developers want to make you feel something. To solve the puzzles you can manipulate the weather or travel into the past. I'm not sure how those things tie in together but I don't care because it's a neat gameplay mechanic and I really hope it works out well for the game. The main character asks how many times he'll kill "her" at the beginning of the trailer, and I'm looking forward to figuring out the answer. My guess is twenty.



Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles



Coming Out For: 3DS
Genre: Action
Gameplay: I actually can't find any videos of it...

I was just going to ignore this game but I wanted to include a 3DS game and I like the Ninja Turtles. With that said, it's hard to find anything on this game, and it will more than likely end up being incredibly terrible so I wouldn't waste my money on it if I were you. I mean, it's a movie tie-in with a Turtles reboot that's pretty controversial at this point.



Metrico



Coming Out For: Vita
Genre: Platformer
Gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87SRSElTR9Q

I think the Playstation Vita wins "game of the week" in the handheld department this week. Metrico is a game with pretty simplistic visuals, but like The Floor is Jelly, it looks like it's still going to give us a beautiful and atmospheric journey. The gimmick of this platformer is that each screen will have different rules that you have to figure out. This should make every stage a new, exciting experience. I wish I had a Vita, because this may be a game I'm going to regret not being able to play.



August 6

Back To Bed


Coming Out For: PC, Mac
Genre: Puzzler

Gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lz-QUPABqw

Set in a surrealist world, you have to help sleepwalker Bob get through the puzzles. What will make this game exciting is the fact that he will be constantly walking so you'll have to think quickly. I love surrealism so the artwork appeals to me.



The Swapper


Coming Out For: Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Vita
Genre: Platformer

Gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3EyhIM9k_k (PC)

The Swapper was a PC indie game released last year and it got really good reviews. It's a platformer but the take on it is that you have a gun called "The Swapper" and it creates clones of you. I've never gotten a chance to play it, but it looks like a great Sci-Fi game with an intriguing story that doesn't beat you over the head with it. Make sure to check out this port.



Crawl


Coming Out For: PC, Mac
Genre: RPG/Action
Gameplay:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_3xrqjTyes

Every now and then when I'm looking up games that are coming out this strange game that I've never heard of pops up and I'm amazed by it. Crawl is a dungeon crawler game with an emphasis on local co-op. The twist is that your friends control the monsters, and when one of them kills you he/she instantly becomes the hero and tries to complete the dungeon. Now, I don't have any friends, and local co-op is increasingly hard because of this, but I absolutely love this game and encourage everyone to support this if they can. It'd be a bit of a waste for me because I won't be able to get the full experience, but maybe sometime down the line.


August 7

Nothing interesting being released here unless Shut The Box for Wii U is interesting to you.



August 8

GamersGoMakers


Coming Out For: PC

Genre: Simulation

Gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hchq3HalHlo

GamersGoMakers has a silly name but it's a neat idea. If you've ever wanted to run a video game company but, y'know, can't because you're as dumb as me, then here's a game for you. In it, you start in the 1980s and you develop video games. As the game progresses, your company will get bigger, you will manage your resources, and you can even buy out your competitor. This could be fun.



Victory At Sea


Coming Out For: PC

Genre: RTS

Gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToEPgfKyAZQ 

Victory At Sea is an explorative combat real-time strategy game where you explore the sea and shoot other ships. It boasts over 80 ships and three game modes, and if this is your kind of thing then it may be worth checking out, especially since we don't see a lot of games like this.



August 9

Nothing, it's the end of the week!



That's it! Those are the games that I deemed interesting for one reason or another. Leave a comment in the little box below if you want to yell at me or contact me on Twitter @ArtBathednCrime. See you next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment