Sunday 24 August 2014

This Week In Games, August 24 - 30 2014: Madden NFL '15, Metro Redux, Infamous: Last Light, Lethal League, Hyperidemension Neptunia Re;Birth1, Steamworld Dig Wii U, Azure Striker Gunvolt, Super Time Force Ultra and Professor Layton Vs Phoenix Wright!

Written By: Tyler

Hello and welcome everybody to another edition of This Week In Games; the weekly feature where I teach you how to make the best peanut butter and jam sandwiches.

Each week I go to Gamespot and I see what games are coming out this week. I then write about the games that I think are interesting/important for the week. All the release dates are North American because that's where I was born and raised, on the playground is where I spent most of my days, so sorry to anybody who isn't from North America. I love you, I just can't cover your continent too.


August 24

Nothing.



August 25

Super Time Force Ultra


Coming Out For: PC
Genre: Platformer/Action
Gameplay:http://ca.ign.com/videos/2014/05/02/super-time-force-release-date-trailer

If you follow my blog, I mentioned -- during Gamescom -- that this was one of the reasons I was jealous of anybody who had an Xbox One or an Xbox 360. I have neither so I missed out on this game when it was originally released. Luckily, PC is getting an enhanced version with a few new characters and challenge modes, so I'll get to play this lovely retro-inspired time-manipulating side-scrolling shooting death-defying son of a bitch.

Seriously, this game looks awesome and I like that it has the "rewind time" mechanic, a lot of characters to choose from and a lot of carnage to commit.



August 26


Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth1



Coming Out For: PS Vita
Genre: RPG
Gameplay: http://www.gamespot.com/videos/hyperdimension-neptunia-re-birth1-official-trailer/2300-6419885/

I've never played Hyperdimension Neptunia, but I almost bought it one time. I can't remember why I thought it'd be interesting, but I did. Anyway, Re;Birth1 is a remake of the original on Vita so you'll get more bang for your buck. The warning here, of course, is that it looks very Japanese so people who aren't into JRPGs will probably want to avoid this.



Metro Redux


Coming Out For: PS4, Xbox One, PC
Genre: Shooter/Horror
Gameplay: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/remastered-versions-of-metro-2033-metro-last-light-hitting-xbox-one-ps4-and-pc-on-august-26/1100-6420698/

I've only played Metro: Last Light but it was lovely. It was dark, violent, scary and well put together so just based on that I'd recommend this package of both games. It's an enhanced edition, so better AI, graphics, that kind of thing. It's a perfect time to play these games if you haven't already.



Madden NFL ' 15


Coming Out For: PS4, Xbox One, PS3, Xbox 360
Genre: Sport
Gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrKYDuZVbas

The newest installment of Madden is here and it looks like Madden! I'm not a football fan, and I can't remember the last time I played a Madden, but let's be honest: you already know if you're getting this or not because you already know how often you buy new EA Sports games.


Infamous: First Light


Coming Out For: PS4
Genre: Sandbox/Action
Gameplay:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xhNuUHs2_g

Here is the new DLC for Infamous: Second Son, a game that I enjoyed. I'm getting a little burnt out on Infamous at this point because after three games of essentially the same thing (yes I know you get more than one type of power in Second Son but they all function basically the same), I feel like there needs to be a change. They're still great games, worthy of at least an 8/10 though.

In the DLC, you play as Fetch... the girl who gave you the Neon power. They're promising that she will function differently because she's much faster than the main character of Second Son, and since she's had the power for a long time she knows how to use it better. I don't own Second Son so I won't be picking it up, but it could be fun DLC if you want to complete her story.



August 27

Lethal League


Coming Out For: PC

Genre: Action/Fighting

Gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j78X5LluM5U

Lethal League is an interesting mash-up, and now that I've actually sat down and watched a video of it I'm intrigued. Basically it's a fighting game where you can play with up to four people (plus online) and smash each other... only there's a projectile constantly moving so you have to be aware of that. You can hit the projectile back and forth to cause damage. It's actually quite cool when you see it in action because of the pretty awesome music and the art-style. This game has style, yo.



August 28

Steamworld Dig


Coming Out For: Wii U
Genre: Platformer/Action/Adventure
Gameplay: http://ca.ign.com/videos/2014/08/14/steamworld-dig-wii-u-gameplay-demo-ign-live-gamescom-2014

Steamworld Dig was released on 3DS and got great reviews with the mixture of Metroidvania and digging ala Minecraft or Terraria. I never got to play it on 3DS, and due to financial issues I may not get to play this right away, but it looks like a hell of a lot of fun, so you should definitely pick this version up if you're a Wii U owner.


August 29

Professor Layton VS Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney 


Coming Out For: 3DS   
Genre: Puzzle
Gameplay: http://www.gamespot.com/videos/professor-layton-vs-ace-attorney-official-trailer/2300-6412655/

I imagine this is a pretty big release for fans of the series, because crossovers are cool. This game will mix elements from both games, obviously, such as being able to examine scenes for clues or grilling people in a court room. I've never been into either of the games so I don't really even know if they're good.


Azure Striker Gunvolt


Coming Out For: 3DS
Genre: Action/Platformer
Gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAClxYeHqMU

I didn't know anything about this game but it shot up to one of the more anticipated releases of the week for me. It's this, Super Time Force Ultra and Steamworld Dig Wii U that I'm looking forward to most. Gunvolt is an intense 2D action game where you play as a 14 year old boy with psychic powers who is trying to take down an evil organization. I'm not sure why Japanese games always have little kids as characters, but still, count me in.

It has RPG mechanics in the sense you can level up, get new skills and develop new equipment, and the action looks crazy. Unfortunately this won't be a game that will drag people to Nintendo because it doesn't have massive name recognition (despite the legendaryKeiji Inafune executive producing it), but I'll be surprised if it's not one of the best 3DS games of the year.



August 30

Notta.


I think there are quite a few cool releases this week. We have some remastered/remade games, a yearly sports title that people love, some interesting indie games. There should be something this week to tickle your fancy.

Did I miss a game you're looking forward to? Yell at me on Twitter @ArtBathednCrime

No comments:

Post a Comment