Wednesday 16 April 2014

Ye Indie Game Corner Volume 3 - The Impossible Cave, Asylum, 2 Souls And Infiltration

Written By: Tyler

Welcome to the Indie Game Corner Volume 3! If you are unfamiliar with what I do here, I'll give you a quick rundown. Every so often I go to a site like Gamejolt and I download/play a few random indie games. I go in blind, and I experience what it has to offer, then I give a quick review of these games. This time I got lucky so there are no terrible reviews, but Volume 2 had one of the worst games I've ever played.



The Impossible Cave
Get It Here: http://gamejolt.com/games/action/the-impossible-cave/23753/


The Impossible Cave is a simple premise -- you guide something through a cave. The game speeds up as you go deeper into it, and the cave shifts and changes. With the combination of speed and the unknown, The Impossible Cave is a game you want to keep playing just so you can beat your high score. It also helps that the song that plays (Push It Remake by Jeremy Allred) is, well, bomb. Seriously, it really adds to the experience.

Rating: 8/10



Asylum
Get It Here: http://gamejolt.com/games/adventure/asylum/25127/


In Asylum you start in... an Asylum. You have no weapons, it's dark, and everybody wants to kill you. All you can do is run through the halls, trying frantically to open each and every door as psychotic, messed up inmates chase you.

I enjoyed Asylum for what it is, but the fear left by a certain point. At first I ran for my life, but then after some glitches/bad AI where the inmates walked downstairs and got stuck, it became more tedious than anything as I searched for the place to go. It's a pretty scary game at first, but Amnesia it is not.

Rating: 6.5/10


2 Souls
Get It Here: http://gamejolt.com/games/platformer/2-souls/25206/


In 2 Souls you guide little robots across platforms. If you play it by yourself, you control one with WASD and the other with your mouse. I imagine playing with someone else would be more fun, and easier when it comes to the challenges, but it's a decent game regardless.

Rating: 6.5/10


Infiltration
Get It Here: http://gamejolt.com/games/action/infiltration/25205/


In Infiltration you hack terminals to open doors so you can get to the end of the level. In your way are turrets placed in various positions. You can shoot them, or you can use your brain to avoid that altogether. Meanwhile, there are different messages with each level that become more menacing as the game goes on.

I think Infiltration is the highlight of this adventure for me. I love The Impossible Cave for its style, addictive gameplay and music, but I like Infiltration just a bit more. It's fairly long for a freeware game, unless you're really good at it, and it can be a little bit challenging. It reminds me a little of Hotline Miami in the way it plays, but it's not Hotline Miami. My only problem is the shooting is difficult because of the way it handles. Outside of that, it's a wonderful little game.

Rating: 8/10



So that's it for Volume 3... I hope you enjoyed it. If you want to tell me how much I suck, or even have a game that you want me to play, tweet me on that Twitterbird thing @ArtBathednCrime, or leave a comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment