Tuesday 10 June 2014

E3 Day 1 (Part 1): The Nintendo Digital Event

Written By: Tyler

Image from http://e3expo.com

I'm not going to lie to you people, but the Nintendo Digital Event is what I was most forward to seeing. Partially because in my heart, I'm a Nintendo guy (despite the Playstation being my primary system) and partially because I need to see them do something great. I'm writing this thing live, so it may not be the best writing I've ever done because I'm going for pure reactions.


Nintendo claymation is a thing, and the Digital Event starts with it. It brings the trademark Nintendo creativity. Fight scene.

Then Super Smash Bros. shows up and we watch Smash Bros. versions of Iwata and Reggie duke it out. Then Mario gets brought into the fight via figurine and beats up Reggie Fils-Aime. Mario wins again!

Super Smash Bros. will allow you to use your Mii as a fighter. You can choose any of the three varieties of Miifighters... the brawler, swordfighter and gunner. You can also choose your moves. It's an interesting idea in a game that is already going to be awesome. 

There are also going to be a bunch of different modes in Smash Bros.

Amiibo is coming this year. You will be able to put your figurine on the Gamepad and the statistics of the character will be put into the game you're playing and you can use it, if I'm understanding correctly. Super Smash Bros. will be the first game to use this feature, but it will show up for games like Mario Kart 8 as well.

Then they talk about yarn and Yoshi's Woolly World. It looks like it could be fun with interesting ways of manipulating the world with your yarn, and two-player mode is always welcome but this isn't really what I want from the Digital Event.

Don't call it a comeback. It also looks like the little Toad mini-game in Super Mario World 3D is coming back. Captain Toad Treasure Tracker. 

Then we have another claymation skit where Bowser apologizes to Princess Peach for kidnapping her so much. This is a... strange lead-up to none other than the new Legend of Zelda game for Wii U!

It turns out they're really going for making the world of the new Zelda vast and open. After a little bit of it in action, it says 2015 and then we cut to a real-world boy wandering in a forest. This leads to some footage of the new Pokemon remakes.

The next game we see is Bayonetta 2, a game that I am personally looking forward to. It looks as crazy as the first one, and that's definitely a good thing. If there's one thing Platinum Games is good at, it's making intense action games that are absolutely nuts. It's awesome that they're packaging the first game with the second.

Hyrule Warriors gets the spotlight next. Yup, still looks like Dynasty Warriors meets Zelda. I'm completely okay with that, and I'm not even a big Zelda fan. Every so often I'll play a new Dynasty Warriors because it's nice sometimes to just button mash and kill hordes of enemies. Hyrule Warriors gets released at the end of September, 2014.

Next there is some footage of Kirby. Kirby and the Rainbow curse hits in 2015, and it looks just like a Kirby game. Like the Yoshi game, it should be fun but it's hardly a system seller.

However, right after that, we get some more footage of Monolith Soft's X (apparently called Xenoblade Chronicles X now)... my most anticipated Wii U game and a game I'm already calling one of the best RPGs of all-time. It looks awesome, even if it isn't more actual gameplay.

Next is the game that got leaked, where you design your own Mario levels. It's called Mario Maker and I definitely think it's a cool concept, and one that we should have had before, but again, it's not a system seller. I still dig the idea a lot though and will probably pick it up. It will be out in 2015 and it also reminds me that we really need a new Mario Paint.

Splatoon shows up next. It's an eight player 4 on 4 online multiplayer action game where people fight for territory. Yeah, gang warfare! It's colourful and family friendly, but definitely has a charming creativity to it, such as being able to shoot ink up walls and travel up those walls really fast. You use your ink to claim your territory.

Then we get an animated video of Link fighting Kid Icarus. But then Palutena shows up and gets rid of him. Guess we got a new character for Smash Bros. Then of course we see some footage of her in action.

Next Miyamoto talks about the gamepad and new experiences and it's over. I'm really disappointed that they chose to end the digital event this way.

Closing Statement: What I like about Nintendo is that they spend more time showing actual gameplay than just pretty cinematics. Say what you want about their games, but their way of announcing things in that regard is better than everyone else. I can't help but feel disappointed as a whole though. I'm one of those guys who eagerly anticipates each Nintendo Direct, only to be disappointed. I feel the same way. It was a good, entertaining, humorous presentation, and Zelda is big news (even if people already knew it was going to be announced), but they did not come out and kill it like they should. No Metroid, Star Fox, F-Zero, no new IPs that we don't know about outside of something like Splatoon (which does look fun, don't get me wrong). They really had to go for broke here and they didn't.


Edit: Wow I'm an idiot. I completely missed the Star Fox tease. I also feel like I was a little hard on the presentation, even though I enjoyed it. Nintendo did a good job.

No comments:

Post a Comment