Wednesday 11 June 2014

E3 Day 2 - Did You Know That E3 Has Games? Bayonetta 2, DubWars, Rainbow Six, Payday 2 And More!

Written By: Tyler


Here we are ladies and gentlemen, the second day of E3 2014. Today I will just be doing impressions of some of the games I watched today.



Evolve -- Evolve is really shaping up to be a great thing. I know I've been pretty positive throughout E3, but a lot of these games just look so good. Of course, I'm really digging the premise of Hunters vs Monster in this game, but the fact it has an ecosystem where the monster you're hunting isn't the only threat is wonderful. I enjoy that the other creatures within the ecosystem can eat the food that the monster needs. If this game ends up sucking, which it doesn't look like it will, there will be a lot of disappointed people.


Broforce -- It looks like a chaotic, retro romp through the shooters of days gone by, with a sense of humour to boot. It should be entertaining. I don't think it's going to do what Mercenary Kings did with the genre, but this will be a blast to play with friends.


Dead Island 2 -- Am I the only one who isn't excited for a Dead Island MOBA? I actually enjoy the Dead Island games, flaws and all, but this? No thank you. Dying Light is where it's at for me.


Dragon Age: Inquisition -- I was pre-ordering some games during the demo of it, so my attention was divided, but Dragon Age looks pretty and it may be my first journey into the world of Dragon Age.


Star Citizen -- This is a game that a lot of PC gamers are hyped for. They showed a demo that was mostly flying through space, and the mechanics of the ship when you are flying. The game is shaping up very nicely.


Lara Croft & The Temple of Osirus -- This is a sequel to Lara Croft and The Guardian of Light and I have never played that. I've seen some videos, and it looked fun, but I just never took the jump and bought it. However, I have a bias towards co-op games and Temple of Osirus looks like it is going to be bigger and better, with completely solid puzzle/action co-op where you can troll people and have them fall to their death in spikes (seriously, we saw that for a while during the video).


H1Z1 - We're in a time where we have a bunch of MMO survival games, but none of them are done. H1Z1 is no different, and it's very much like DayZ and Rust. They didn't show us a lot of actual gameplay because it's still early, but I'm excited for this, more than I am DayZ.


Guns Up! -- From the video I saw, this game succeeds despite its title. Seriously, what a god awful name for a game. However, don't judge it based on that because it actually looks like a need little tactical/strategy shooter.


Rainbow Six: Siege -- The biggest fear of a new Rainbow Six is that it'll just be another dumb shooter. Despite the fact that it's very early in its development, Rainbow Six looks like it's a real Rainbow Six -- tactical with a need for teamwork. That's all R6 fans want.


The Evil Within -- I think The Evil Within will be scary because it's very easy to scare me. I'm sure there will be some memorable gore and jump scares, but I am not psyched for the game. I just don't see it as being a horror game that ranks among the best. It kind of looks like just another scary game. I hope I'm wrong, and perhaps other people see things I don't, but I haven't gained any new appreciation for it over the course of E3.


Hunt: Horrors of the Gilded Age -- This looks a bit like a Left 4 Dead but with a more Southern Gothic feel -- not in the way it feels or plays because it's 3rd person as opposed to 1st, but because it's set-up like L4D. I am glad it isn't just zombies we're shooting, and in the video shown we got to see them fighting a witch. I think that in itself, changing the scenery up, is reason enough to at least keep an eye on this one. So many shooters look alike that it's hard to tell at this point if it'll be just that, but I have some hopes for this one.


Hohokum -- Here we have a colourful indie game that appears to be you just flying around. But that's the point. The world reacts to you, and since there isn't anything telling you what to do, everything you do is right (I can get behind that logic). It's got a simplistic visual style, but the blend of colours makes it a bright and gorgeous game. It strikes me as a very relaxing game, and the type of experience that you want when you just want to unwind after a tough day... like when you want to watch a movie but you really don't want to have to think about it so you watch something dumb. I'm not saying this game is dumb, I'm just saying it looks like it'll have the same affect. It will be released on August 12th of this year on PS3, PS4 and PS Vita. I will more than likely get this.


Payday 2: Big Bank Heist -- Payday 2 is a good game, and much better than the first. I'm not as obsessed with it as I should be, since I love the concept, because there are little things that would make the heists better that they just haven't included. It's a big improvement over the first but there's room to grow. This DLC looks like more of the same, but more missions is a good thing.


Bayonetta 2 -- I didn't even need to see videos because I have it pre-ordered. It's still as zany and nuts as the original... but what happened to her hair! I'm excited for this.


DubWars -- A shooter where you're character shoots based on the sounds of the song, so if it's silent, you can only avoid enemies. This music-based gameplay makes this a game worth playing and while the graphics are really not that appealing, I love the concept. I could be wrong here, but apparently the launch is Friday... only I thought I heard that the "launch" was actually not the full game, but early access. If I'm right, I have to ask... is that what is considered a launch these days? I won't rant about this, because maybe that's a post for another time, but I'll leave it at that.


Well readers, this is all I got for the day. I know I've missed games over the past few days, but video game journalism is hard and I quit! No, not really, I don't quit, but it is quite difficult to catch everything, especially when you factor in that there are some games I just don't care about.

Anything I missed that you're into? Message me on Twitter @ArtBathednCrime or leave a comment below, and I will see you tomorrow, where I'll do another post like this, and do an E3 Awards post.

No comments:

Post a Comment