Monday 23 June 2014

This Week In Games: June 22 - 28, 2014

Written By: Tyler

Every Sunday or Monday I'm going to try to give a quick preview of some of the interesting upcoming games for the week. These will often be games that people should be excited for, even if I'm not, but sometimes I will throw in terrible games that you should avoid.

These release dates are based in North America because that's where I'm from, unless noted otherwise. If I get any of these dates wrong I apologize, because sometimes games are released in different regions on different dates and I don't realize it because when I'm looking for upcoming games it only says one date. This was the case for Sniper Elite 3, but I noticed it right at the last second.

June 24

Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare  


Coming Out For: PC
Genre: Third-Person Shooter/Tower Defense

Gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gin3uYn95QU

I've never actually played Plants vs Zombies, but people really dig it. This is actually already out on console but it's coming out for PC. It actually looks like a fun blend of third-person shooting and tower defense, which is a mash-up I've been a big fan of since Dungeon Defenders. It looks to have a sense of humour, a colourful art-style, and it should be worth your time if you haven't played the console version. The developers also said that it's not just a port and it's been reworked to function well on PC.


Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark


Coming Out For: PC, X360, Xbone, PS4, PS3, WiiU, 3DS
Genre: Third-Person Shooter/Strategy-RPG

Gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxCy0Uo72p0

This is an interesting one. On consoles, it is a third-person shooter much like the other games in this series. You can choose between being the Autobots or the Decepticons, or play the online mode where up to four players fend of hordes of enemies. The online mode is not a part of the Wii U or 3DS versions. Honestly, I haven't played any of the games in this series but I've been told by someone that I trust that they're a lot of fun because they make it feel awesome to be a Transformer. I reckon if you're a fan of the series, you're already excited.

The reason this release is interesting is because the 3DS version is a strategy-RPG with turn-based combat. I understand why they'd do that because I don't find action games to be that great on the 3DS, but it also gives you a reason to buy the game twice.



June 25   

Another World (20th Anniversary Edition)


Coming Out For: PS4, PS Vita, PS3
Genre: Platformer/Adventure

Gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHqS35B_aV4 (PC version because I couldn't find much video-wise)

The classic game is back, and even though other systems have gotten it, it hits the Sony systems this week. If you missed out on this before, and you have a Playstation, now is a good time to pick it up.


Valiant Hearts: The Great War 


Coming Out For: PC, X360, Xbone, PS4, PS3
Genre: Puzzle/Adventure

Gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEMv0ia6cSM

I think that the gameplay/puzzle elements will be solid, but I don't actually think that's where this game will shine. If the E3 presentation was any indication, then this game is going to pull on my heart strings. The artwork is beautiful, so I imagine this will go down the same road as Child of Light: a completely solid, pretty game. I enjoy that Ubisoft does these smaller games in between bigger releases.



June 26

Shovel Knight  


Coming Out For: WiiU, 3DS, PC, Mac, Lin
Genre: Platformer

Gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jo-uuawy9Ok


This is the big release of the week for me, and not because I'm some retro-nut that just flocks towards everything retro. I do love me some retro, as I grew up in it, but if a game isn't bringing interesting mechanics and is just milking nostalgia then I'm usually not interested. The pitch of Shovel Knight is obvious -- you're a knight with the most badass shovel imaginable. You can use it to jump on enemies (ala Duck Tales), reflect enemy attacks back at them, open chests, and of course... smash and dig things like a shovel should do. It's a novel concept, and you know the game is going to be silly in a good way. It helps that the game legitimately looks fun to play and from the video that I posted above, it looks like the developers have taken great care to craft a game with interesting level design and awesome 8-bit inspired music.


June 27

Sniper Elite III (Releases in Europe on this date)    


Coming Out For: PC, PS3, PS4, X360, Xbone
Genre: Third-Person Shooter

Gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1yg9jffjxI

This one doesn't interest me at all, and since I don't get paid to do reviews I'm not sure if I'll get around to this one or not. It's not that it looks terrible, but it doesn't look like it brings anything to the table that we can't get a million other places. The kill-cam idea doesn't really make me feel like I'm seeing the damage I'm doing, it just seems annoying, and the action looks okay but there are so many shooters it just doesn't stand out.

No comments:

Post a Comment