Sunday 27 July 2014

This Week In Games, July 28 - August 2, 2014

Written By: Tyler

Hello again everybody to another edition of "This Week In Games," a weekly feature I do that involves me talking about cows.

Every week I go through the new releases (usually according to Gamespot) and I pick some of the interesting games of the week, whether they're good or bad. Usually I'm pretty positive, especially when you consider I've never played a lot of them so I try to keep an open-mind.

I keep it mostly to "first time" releases, meaning games that are launching this week, but I do throw in some ports and whatnot as well here and there. The release dates are all North American as well, because that's where I live. Okay, let's do this.



July 27

Nothing today, go outside and play heathens.


July 28


The Room


Coming Out For: PC
Genre: Puzzler
Gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4R7KxglZY4

The Room is originally a mobile game (and a terrible but awesome movie, but this is no relation to that), and it is getting ported to PC. I had to post a link to the gameplay on the iOS version because I couldn't find anything concerning the PC version that isn't just a comparison of the graphics between the two versions.

The gameplay consists of you solving puzzles. The puzzles, in this case, are boxes that you have to open. It looks pretty interesting and the mobile version won awards, so it's probably worth checking out on PC. On a side note, the title screen music is pretty haunting.




July 29


Firefall


Coming Out For: PC
Genre: MMO shooter
Gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI_QHwlLUXI

This is going to be a hard sell for a lot of people, and I'm not even convinced that I want to play it myself. Firefall is an MMO shooter that has been in beta for years. I only ever heard the name and never cared to check it out, but it's been a long time coming and because of that it's, at the very least, a relatively important release.

The good aspects, as I see it, is that we don't actually have a lot of full-fledged MMO shooters and so this has the chance to be fresh. It looks like there's a fair bit to do in it such as a campaign, random missions and PvP, and if you like cartoon visuals it will be pretty appealing. I'm also a big fan of Tribes and enjoy jet packs, so on a personal level it has that going for it.

On the other hand, it's a free-to-play game which could be good or bad. It's bad, obviously, if it ends up being pay-to-win and I'm not entirely sure how this will work. The other thing I'm not a fan of is the shooting mechanics. It doesn't really look like it's going to feel good to shoot. It looks like nothing has any oomph, and that's a problem in the genre.

I can't really recommend it or tell you to avoid it, because I'm honestly not sure. It looks like it could be okay, but part of me feels like it's going to be a disappointment. Hey, it's free though, so there's no harm in checking it out.



Rogue Legacy 


Coming Out For: PS3, PS4, PS Vita

Genre: Roguelike, Side-Scrolling Platformer
Gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfIFidx71WE


Rogue Legacy is a game that I unfortunately ignored last year when it came out on PC. It's a Roguelike, which means randomly generated dungeons so no playthrough will be the same... only the twist here is that when you die, your child takes over and he/she could have a variety of features, such as being colorblind or a dwarf. It's a really neat idea, and now that it's coming out on console as well, there's no reason not to pick it up.



The Last of Us Remastered



Coming Out For: PS4
Genre: Third-Person Adventure/Action
Gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNZesQXSyxo


The Last of Us is one of the best games to hit the PS3, and now PS4 owners get a chance to play a remastered version. I don't even need to play the remastered version to say you should play it. The game is a fantastic, story-driven action/adventure game. The plot may not be complex, but it's told extremely well. The gameplay consists mostly of killing hideously deformed creatures and searching buildings for stuff, but it's a very rewarding, addictive game. Grab this enhanced version, because not only will it have better graphics, but it will have the Left Behind DLC and more. I can't stress this enough; get this game.


July 30

Nothing here... but you should be playing The Last of Us anyway.



July 31

Cloud Chamber


Coming Out For: PC

Genre: MMO Story Game
Gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62W-ju8Xd-c

There's a very good chance that Cloud Chamber ends up winning my award for most original game at the end of the year if I choose to give out that award. It is a multiplayer story game, where you basically just watch videos and go on their network and discuss your way through the story. It's a very neat idea in theory, and I hope it translates to a fun experience.



Lovely Planet 


Coming Out For: PC
Genre: FPS
Gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEBvOVrhnuA

Realistic shooters too violent and graphic for you? Enter Lovely Planet -- a cutesy FPS where you shoot things with your semi-auto in an abstract and colourful world. There are five levels, and it could be some harmless, simple fun.



August 1

Eidolon 



Coming Out For: PC
Genre: First-person exploration
Gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCZJUH7sx-Q

Eidolon is a first-person exploration game, which means you'll basically just walk around and explore your surroundings. These times of games are hit and miss, so it's up to Ice Water Games to craft a compelling story that makes us want to dive deep into this world.


August 2 

Nothing of interest here.


So that's it for another week. Did I miss a game that you're looking forward to? Let me know in the comments below or hit me up on Twitter @ArtBathednCrime.

No comments:

Post a Comment