Sunday 20 July 2014

This Week In Games, July 20 - 26, 2014

Written By: Tyler

Welcome to another edition of "This Week In Games," a weekly feature where I discuss the finer points of wine. We'll get right down to it, but I have to make a few quick points as I do every week.

I don't include every game that is being released that week. I go down some of the more interesting ones and give a quick rundown on them. I don't always put Early Access games, but sometimes I do, and I try to limit it to games that are seeing their first retail release, though I will sometimes put ports. I try not to put games that were released on PC and then released on places like Steam later because Steam and PC are the same thing... but occasionally I will if I don't realize that a game was already released before. The release dates are also for North America because that's where I live. Sorry to those who live in other parts of the world.


July 20

Nothing! Enjoy the day of rest and relaxation.



July 21

Shadow Blade: Reload



Coming Out For: PC
Genre: Platformer
Gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEkfFaEPuCA

This is an early access game, so because of that, you shouldn't expect a full game. It's also an enhanced version of Shadow Blade. However, it looks really cool. Since it's a 2D side-scrolling platformer where you play as a ninja, it should be a lot of fun. The mechanics look solid, and they're going to try to implement a level editor, local co-op and a variety of other features.



July 22

Ollie Ollie


Coming Out For: PC
Genre: Runner/Sport/Platformer
Gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuJczWSgfCU

Ollie Ollie is a 2D runner where you are on a skateboard and you have to perform fancy tricks while not landing on your face. It was a Vita-exclusive so I never got to play it. Since it's coming out for PC this week, I may give it a try. It looks simplistic but I suppose the beauty of a game like this is that it is simplistic looking. It does look like it's going to be a bit of a challenge, though, so it should make for a good time.



July 23

Unrest



Coming Out For: PC
Genre: Adventure/RPG
Gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hajqi1C13LE

Set in Ancient India, we are going to be given a setting that we don't often see. You play as four different characters, and the idea of Unrest is choice, apparently. Much like a game like Planescape: Torment, the developers say that you can go the entire game without fighting anybody if you're smart. If you do fight, it may have consequences that won't help you. Battles will be few and far between. If your character dies, the game continues on. The obvious concern here is that the choices you make won't be balanced or logical, but that's something we won't know until we play it. As it stands now, Unrest looks like a pretty decent romp through an uncommon setting.




The Wizard


Coming Out For: PC
Genre: Strategy/RPG
Gameplay: http://www.gamespot.com/videos/the-wizard-teaser-trailer/2300-6420154/

First of all, the teaser trailer that I linked above is very funny. Secondly, The Wizard is about a Wizard without a face and the Thief who stole his face. At the very least, it's a unique storyline. The gameplay involves you chasing him down through dungeons, not unlike a Roguelike, where you can upgrade your spells. It looks like the game is going to have a sense of humour, and if the trailer is any indication then it'll do it well. I don't think the game will having mindblowing gameplay, but it looks like it'll be an entertaining 16-bit adventure. Let's get our attractiveness back!



July 24

Gods Will Be Watching

I believe this is an image from the version that was at Ludum Dare, but it's still a cool pic and the game looks similar.
Coming Out For: PC
Genre: Adventure
Gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QliEVf1ZSzU

Here we go; this is the game of the week for me. Sporting a retro look (like many indie games), Gods Will Be Watching is a point-and-click adventure game but with a huge twist. It's not about solving puzzles in the way that we are accustomed to in the genre, so instead the game aims to place you in intense situations where you have to make choices on the fly and your decisions will affect the outcome of the world surrounding you. I'm ridiculously excited for this game and I hope that it makes me feel as uncomfortable as it's supposed to.



July 25

The Fifth Day


Coming Out For: PC
Genre: Survival/Action/FPS
Gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yG80z5EmkIU

This is an early access game. In The Fifth Day, you are a robot and you have to survive to the Fifth Day. At first I thought it was just another DayZ and Rust and I was going to rant about how we have so many games like this in Alpha that it's ridiculous. It does resemble those games in some way but the focus here is more on playing by yourself or with your friends in order to just survive a few days. You build stuff, hack AI from "the old world," and kill enemies. I may give it a spin. I'm not that excited for it but it seems relatively polished already and since the concept is more focused/less huge than games that are similar it may actually come out someday!


Wii Sports Club


Coming Out For: Wii U

Genre: Sports
Gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gklSuWQFXk

Wii Sports Club is getting its full retail release on July 25th. The game consists of HD remakes of the games from the original Wii Sports, with an online component added. I'm of a mixed mind concerning this. On one hand, Wii Sports was a great game to package with the original Wii when it came out, but on the other hand, I feel like time has passed this by. It could hit huge with casual gamers, but I don't even feel like the Wii U is the system for it. Yes, you can hook up your Wiimotes and play it, but I think they should have focused on something else. There's no doubt it'd still be fun because the original was fun, but I won't be picking it up.



July 26

There's nothing going on today either. Go out and have fun!



This week was heavy for PC releases, but there are some interesting picks here. Did I miss a game that you're looking forward to? Let me know in the comments below or hit me up on Twitter @ArtBathednCrime.

No comments:

Post a Comment