Sunday 13 July 2014

This Week In Games, July 13 - 19, 2014

Written By: Tyler

Another week, another quick rundown of the games releasing this week. Now, this isn't every single game, so instead I picked games of interest. Most of the games in this feature will be games I want to play, but I will give an honest opinion on each and every one. Just because I don't want to play a game doesn't mean a game isn't an important release. The release date for these are all the North American release dates because that's where I live.



July 14

LIGHT


Coming Out For: PC
Genre: Puzzle/Action/Adventure
Gameplay: http://www.gamespot.com/videos/quick-look-light/2300-6420020/

LIGHT is a top-down stealth game where you sneak, steal and hack. It's not unlike Hotline Miami in ways, though it has less emphasis on violence and surrealism. It's supposed to have a good narrative, and maybe it will, but I'm having a hard time getting past the visuals. Playing as a square in a game like this annoys me a little bit.



Infinity Runner


Coming Out For: PC
Genre: Action
Gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zBtpvWXK4M

Infinity Runner is a lot like Mirror's Edge, which isn't a bad thing. It's first-person and you just do a lot of running in a Sci-Fi environment. The trailer that I linked above makes it look like it's going to be pretty intense, so I will probably play this one.



July 15

Abyss Odyssey 


Coming Out For: PC, PS3, Xbox 360 (July 16)
Genre: Platformer/Action
Gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtKd6paqhEg

Abyss Odyssey is a side-scrolling platformer/action game. You have three characters to choose from and then you can either hack and jump your way to victory by yourself or with a friend. It's nothing original, but it could be fun. The mechanics look solid.



July 19

Freedom Planet


Coming Out For: PC
Genre: Platformer
Gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zlMtd4zeI0

Freedom Planet reminds me a lot of Sonic, if I'm being honest. That's not a criticism because the speed in the game makes it look like a good time, especially to those who miss the 90s. It appears that there are multiple characters to play as, and secrets to discover. I think Freedom Planet will end up being a fun little romp, a reminder of the games that kids in the 90s played (including myself).




That's it for this week folks. It's not a huge week in terms of big releases but there is still a bunch of cool little games seeing the light of day. Until next time, thanks for reading, and feel free to tweet me @ArtBathednCrime.

No comments:

Post a Comment