Saturday 12 October 2013

My Top 50 Favourite Video Games of This Generation, 40 - 31



Written By: Tyler Selig

I won’t waste your time because I know you’ve been so eagerly awaiting the next ten picks, so let’s do this.


40: Sin and Punishment: Star Successor (Wii)
                It’s a common misconception that the Wii didn’t have games. It’s untrue, and I hope my list proves that. Sin and Punishment: Star Sucessor is a type of game that doesn’t get made very often, the Cabal shooter. There’s often quite a bit going on at any given point on the screen, so the experience is often thrilling and intense.


39: Mark of the Ninja (360)
                A 2D stealth game, they pretty much did it perfectly. The mechanics are smooth, and this makes for an incredible spin on a genre that isn’t uncommon, but is usually 3D. Mix in a great art style and atmosphere, and while I enjoy Shank but this is my favourite Klei Entertainment game, by far.


38: Donkey Kong Country Returns (Wii)
                Donkey Kong is a mammoth of the platforming genre. This is a great return. It has everything that makes the series one of the best in the genre.


37: Bayonetta (PS3, 360)
                Speaking of best in the genre… I’m not going to say Bayonetta is the best in its particular genre but it’s one of the best in its genre this generation. It’s batshit insane action, at all times, with an overly sexualized main character that turned off some. Yes, the game is really silly, but it’s a hell of a lot of fun. I can’t wait for Bayonetta 2.


36: Crysis 3 (PS3, 360)
                I wish I could run this on my PC. It wouldn’t even let me turn the game on. But I did play it on 360 and it’s more of what makes the series great. It’s a pretty open-world so there are different ways to tackle objectives, and who doesn’t like going invisible and murdering people?


35: Max Payne 3 (PS3, 360)
                I think it’s at this point where I started having a really hard time placing the games, because up until a certain point they’re all really close in quality. I really enjoy Max Payne 3. It’s refreshing to see a shooter that isn’t dependant on taking cover, and Max Payne is just an iconic character. He has the worst days ever.


34: Muramasa: The Demon Blade (Wii)
                I wouldn’t hesitate to say that this is one of the most beautiful games the Wii has. It’s a 2D action game, and it’s just charming from beginning to end. It’s one of those special games in the genre that come along every now and then. The story is a bit confusing, but hacking people up is a lot of fun.


33: Perfect Dark Zero (360)
                I used to think it was underrated, but I guess it actually got pretty good reviews. It’s not as good as the first one, but it’s a worthy follow-up. I spent a lot of time playing the multi-player, the guns feel really good to shoot, and some of the multiplayer levels are awesome. Weirdly enough, the roll adds a lot to the game too.


32: Mass Effect 3 (PS3, 360)
                Though people shit on the ending that was originally given to us, which is fine, it doesn’t change the fact that up until that point it’s a wonderful game. They changed it up from the first game a bit, but I enjoy it. It’s a solid third-person shooter with RPG elements, and a large, epic story.

               
31: Braid (PS3, 360)
                It feels weird to me to put Braid at 31, because it’s such a kick in the nuts (in the best way possible). I know the developer is up his ass, and this wouldn’t help, but it really is an innovative, incredible, emotional experience. The story could be taken on multiple levels, literal and symbolic, and the ending is one of the best that games has ever seen.
                Just from a story perspective it’s worth playing, but the puzzles are smart and they change up all the time so there’s always a new element being introduced to you. Braid really is good as they say. 


Well that's it for today. Make sure to check back in tomorrow for the next ten. 

No comments:

Post a Comment