Thursday 3 October 2013

You Rich? Wanna Spend Money? Wanna Give Me Money? October 2013 Game Releases!



Written by: Tyler Selig
        

              At the beginning of every month I am going to make a post about games that I'm interested in that are being released that month. Some of the games will be big releases, maybe some will be smaller, indie releases. This is not meant to be a comprehensive list of all the games released this month. The point of it is to give my own opinion on upcoming games, why I think they look like games people should play. Some of these games I will include on the list because I know people are looking forward to them, not necessarily because I want to play them.

              October is a big month for AAA titles, with a lot of industry mammoths competing against each other for yo mad duckets, so you’re bound to have something you’re looking forward to this month. So let’s do this:


Beyond: Two Souls (PS3) – October 8

Genre: Interactive Drama Action/Adventure
Why You Should Be Interested: This is bound to be a divisive game because David Cages often are. He often focuses on storytelling, rather than gameplay, and that bothers some people. I loved Heavy Rain, but I loved Heavy Rain in 20 minute bursts. The gameplay was not the strong point and it got boring after 20 minutes but the story was incredible.

It looks like Beyond: Two Souls is more of the same. I’ve no doubt they’ll fine tune what they do, but it won’t be a game for everyone. I do wish they’d focus on making compelling gameplay because I feel like it would compliment the story… but Beyond: Two Souls is clearly a big release, and one I am excited for despite that.


Pokemon X and Y (3DS) – October 12

Genre: RPG
Why You Should Be Interested: It’s Pokemon. It’s a guarantee that the game will be huge. I actually haven’t followed the Pokemon games but what I’ve played is really solid. I have every reason to believe that this will be yet another wonderful RPG on a handheld that is an RPG monster.


Batman: Arkham Origins (PC, PS3, Wii U, Xbox 360) - October 25

Genre: Action/Adventure
Why You Should Be Interested: Arkham Asylum and Arkham City were both some of the finest games the genre has ever seen. The different ways to tackle events, the incredible fighting system and just the fact that it was about Batman… all these things made these games classics. While this is a prequel to Arkham Asylum, I think the fact that it will star an unrefined Batman (along with the inevitable great game play) is an interesting choice. I don’t think people have to worry that the development was handled by a different company. I think the blueprint has been clearly defined and this will be another solid entry.


Path of Exile (PC) – October 23 (I think)

Genre: Action-RPG
Why You Should Be Interested: Free-to-play is a concept that scares some people (I don’t quite get it but I feel like I might write an article about it at a later date), but Path of Exile seems to be free-to-play, not pay-to-win. I played the beta a little bit and it honestly seems like one of the better hack n’ slash RPGs in recent times. What I’ve liked is that it does take from genre classics but it carves its own path with some really neat gameplay choices. From a levelling up system not unlike Final Fantasy X, to the way it handles buying things, I think Path of Exile is going to be a gem when it is finally officially released.


Battlefield 4 (PC, Xbox 360, PS3) – October 29

Genre: Military First-Person Shooter
Why You Should Be Interested: If you’re into military shooters and want an experience that’s not Call of Duty, you probably can’t go wrong with Battlefield 4. For me, the biggest deal is how destructive the environments are.


Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag (PC, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii U) – October 29

Genre: Action/Adventure
Why You Should Be Interested: Honestly I’m not an Assassin’s Creed fan but I know people dig it so I’ll throw it in there. I imagine it’ll probably be more of the same, but if you’re into the series, make sure to check it out.


Sonic: Lost World (Wii U, 3DS) – October 29

Genre: Platformer
Why You Should Be Interested: If you’re a Wii U owner (good on ya) and you haven’t played it as much as you would like… here’s a reason to play it. A Nintendo exclusive, it looks like it’s going to be another good entry in a classic series of games. So if you want to play as an incredibly fast Hedgehog, then this should be your jam.


WWE 2K14 (PS3, Xbox 360) – October 29

Genre: Wrestling/Fighting
Why You Should Be Interested: While I don’t think wrestling games have been as good since the N64 days, and the last WWE game was glitchy, it still delivered a fun wrestling experience, flaws and all. 2K14 looks to be more of the same, with a selling point being the Ultimate WAAAAARRIOOOOOR. Which to be fair, is pretty sweet. And hey, you’re not going to find much else in the way of wrestling games so if this is your thing, check it out.



Well peeps, that’s it for October. Again, this is not meant to be a comprehensive list, and it’s only games that stick out to me in some shape or form. It’s also possible that I’ve missed some games. What games are you looking forward to? Let me know in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment