Sunday 13 October 2013

My Top 50 Video Games of This Generation, 30 - 21



Written By: Tyler Selig


30: Super Street Fighter IV (PS3, 360)
                When it comes to fighting games, Street Fighter has always been my jam. Not because I’m awesome, because even at my Street Fighter 2 prime I was only pretty good, but just because I like the characters and I like how the fighting operates.
                While 4 doesn’t hit the same magic for me as 2, it’s still a wonderful fighting game. It has more to it than ever before, and the action is as intense and strategic as before.


29: Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (Wii)
                I’m a big Metroid fan but I’m more of a fan of the 2D Metroids. I still think Super Metroid is one of the best games of all time. However, I can’t deny just how great the first-person shooter Metroids have been. Corruption is another notch on the Metroid belt.


28: Saints Row: The Third (PS3, 360)
                While a lot of people prefer GTA, I much prefer Saints Row at this point. I think it’s mostly because we have so many games like GTA, that I’m kind of burnt out on it. Saints Row plays much like it, don’t get me wrong, but it’s also batshit insane. It’s like a silly action movie, and even though some of the humour is juvenile, some of it is clever. It hits that balance really well.


27: Xcom: Enemy Unknown (PS3, 360)
                I never played the original Xcom, but I can tell ya, this tactical/strategy RPG is amazing. It’s awe-inspiring how great it is. You always have to be paying attention in battle, and outside of it, there’s quite a bit to do.


26: Dungeon Defenders (PS3, 360)
                Oh Dungeon Defenders, one of the few games I bought twice. It’s better on PC but I also played it on 360. It’s a nice twist on the Tower Defense genre, and I got to say, I love the music that plays when the battle starts.


25: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (PS3, 360)
                Some will scoff that this isn’t higher, like my girlfriend, but I’m not as in love with The Elder Scrolls as everyone else. I definitely really enjoy it, and love what it does, but there are aspects of the series, and specifically Skyrim, that knocks it down a bit for me.
                But you can’t deny how much game play there is here, even if some of it is fluff. And I will always say that these games have one of the best levelling systems in any RPG.
                Admittedly, it’s a better experience on PC because it doesn’t have the horrendous loading times providing you have a decent computer and the mods are insane.


24: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning (PS3, 360)
                I like Kingdoms of Amalur a little bit more than Skyrim, to be honest, even though it borrows some from Skyrim. I love the world it creates more than Skyrim, and the battle system is a hell of a lot more fun. I’m probably alone here, but I think it’s a better game. It isn’t as polished but I still really like it.


23: Deus Ex: Human Revolution (PS3, 360)
                Always been a big fan of Deus Ex. It’s weird that it’s this high, but you could stick this in the Top 10 and I’d have absolutely no problem with it. It’s hard to place games in an order.
                I love the world it creates, because I love Sci-Fi.
                The soundtrack is AMAZING.
                I was fearful of it not being so great, not being able to live up to the original, but it mostly did.


22: Bioshock (PS3, 360)
                You could put Bioshock or Bioshock: Infinite in here and I’d be okay with it.
                The shooting feels wonderful and weapons hit with the impact that it should. It’s extremely satisfying to shoot things, but you also got your Plasmids to kill people with.
                Bioshock is a great FPSRPG, and it takes special care to make Rapture a memorable place to be, and the story is fantastic. The twists… oh god the twists.
                It’s also a pretty terrifying game.


21: Hitman: Blood Money (PS3, 360)
                Just from a pure gameplay perspective, the Hitman series is one of the best. It starts you in a level, you walk around, scouting the area, and then you decide how you’re going to assassinate people from the many options available. It doesn’t need an amazing story, it just needs to do this, and Blood Money does this much better than Absolution.
                It also has an extremely satisfying part at the end.



                I hope you enjoyed these picks, but if you didn’t, oh well, I got your page view. Just kidding. Leave me a comment below to tell me how much of an asshole I am for saying that. Make sure to check in tomorrow for 20 – 11. Almost Top 10 baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment