Friday 1 November 2013

Game Releases for November 2013. Great Title, I Know.




Written by: Tyler Selig

Some of the releases! Oh the insanity!

        

              Hey there readers, it’s me here just telling you what November releases stick out to me. I’m going by North American releases. A lot of them will be games I want to play, but some may not be, because I like to think I’m objective enough to know which games are of interest, even if I’m not personally invested in it.
                This is a big month because we have two consoles launching, this isn’t a full list by any means, and dates are subject to change. There are always going to be a ton of indie games that I don’t know about, as well.
                You want to know what game isn’t going to be released in November? Watch Dogs. That’s right, I rubbed salt in the wound of everyone… including myself. D’oh.



Call of Duty: Ghosts (PC, PS3, 360, Xbone, PS4, Wii U, everywhere, all the time, you can’t escape it) – November 5

Genre: Military First-Person Shooter
Why You Should Be Interested: Because you know exactly what you’re getting with the series. For fans of CoD, which I am not anymore, you are going to get a lot of the same mechanics, with what looks to be slight improvements in a few ways. I’m not saying that in an insulting way, but Call of Duty knows what it does, and it isn’t going to drastically change anything. Nor should it, really. It’d be nice for it to re-invent itself, but a series like this isn’t going to do that, because people want more of the same.

Note: The next gen version will obviously be released at a later date when the system is out.


XCOM: Enemy Within (PC, Xbox 360, PS3) – November 5

Genre: Tactical RPG/ Strategy
Why You Should Be Interested: Because XCOM: Enemy Unknown was one of the better games of this generation, and is an amazing tactical RPG/Strategy game. Enemy Within is an expansion, and therefore will ideally bring more of what made Enemy Unknown so great, but improve upon it. Look, either way, more XCOM is a good thing, so long as it’s done right.


The Guided Fate Paradox (PS3) – November 5

Genre: RPG
Why You Should Be Interested: Because quite frankly, JRPGs are not given enough attention in North America. Gone are the days when JRPGs ruled over here. Admittedly it’s not a game I’m real knowledgeable about, so while it could suck, it could also be one of those overlooked gems that are the most exciting thing about gaming.
The anime graphics are going to bother some people, and I’m sure it will have some of the trappings of the genre, but the dungeon crawling seems solid and the battle system is intriguing. So here’s hoping for the best.




Killzone: Shadow Fall (PS4) – November 15

Genre: First-person shooter
Why You Should Be Interested: Because Killzone is awesome. It’s my multiplayer shooter of choice, and if you enjoy Sci-Fi and class-based multiplayer, with a heavier feeling than other shooters, then Killzone should be your shooter of choice too.
Though it will certainly play similar in a lot of ways, Shadow Fall is doing things a bit differently than other games in the genre. For example, the way you level up is not experience based as much now, rather it’s more accomplishment based. Like it or hate it, at least Killzone: Shadow Fall is carving its own path.
Plus it’s a big launch title and it’s gorgeous.



Ratchet and Clank: Into the Nexus (PS3) – November 12

Genre: Platformer
Why You Should Be Interested: I’m not a massive Ratchet and Clank fan because I haven’t spent as much time with the series as I should, but I’ve liked what I’ve played. I don’t know a lot about the new one but here’s to it being as good as some of their other ones, like Up Your Arsenal.



Baldur’s Gate II: Enhanced Edition (PC) – November 15

Genre: RPG
Why You Should Be Interested: Baldur’s Gate II is an iconic game in the genre. If you’re into these old computer RPGs, you’ll want to pick up the enhanced edition because it’s what you love about the original but… you know, enhanced. Or if you haven’t played it, now is a good time to try it.



Knack (PS4) – November 15

Genre: Action
Why You Should Be Interested: I’m not sure if Knack will be a truly great game. I get the feeling it’s going to be one of those decent but not awe-inspiring launch titles that you mention when you’re thinking back on the system years later and you’re like, “Oh hey, remember Knack? That actually was a pretty good game.”
                Knack isn’t a game I’d say you should be real interested in normally but it’s a launch title and hey, I could be a complete idiot and it could be awesome. You never know. Gameplay videos only tell you so much, you aren’t getting the full experience until you play it yourself.



Warframe (PS4) – November 15

Genre: Third-person Shooter
Why You Should Be Interested: I enjoy Warframe on PC, but I have had an extremely hard time connecting to actually play with my brother so I haven’t been able to get as into it as I’d like. Luckily, this third-person shooter where you can run up walls is coming to PS4.



Contrast (PS4) – November 15

Genre: Puzzle Platformer
Why You Should Be Interested: Mostly because it’s free if you become a Playstation Plus member, which you will end up doing anyway if you want to play games online. It looks like a solid game… moody and stylish, it could be a lot of fun.



Resogun (PS4) – November 15

Genre: Side-scrolling Shoot ‘Em Up
Why You Should Be Interested: Pretty much the same reason you should be interested in Contrast if you’re a Playstation 4 owner and you are getting Playstation Plus. It’s a free game, and it’s got classic side-scrolling shooter gameplay. I feel like people look at the launch now that Watch Dog’s isn’t going to be there, and they say there aren’t any games when there are… some aren’t AAA titles, but that doesn’t mean they won’t be awesome. Resogun and Contrast could both be really good.



Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games (Wii U) – November 15

Genre: Sport
Why You Should Be Interested: If choosing characters from Mario or Sonic and having them participate in Olympic events is your thing, and you’re looking for what will hopefully be a fun sports title… then this is probably a good choice.



Killer Instinct (Xbone) – November ?

Genre: Fighting Game
Why You Should Be Interested: Just to see where Killer Instinct is at these days. I never thought KI was the best fighter or even close, but I had some fun with previous entries. I’m curious about this one but I’m not so sure about the pricing strategy.



Dead Rising 3 (Xbone) – November 22

Genre: Survival Horror
Why You Should Be Interested: One of the biggest Xbone launch titles, and a series that is pretty loved. I’ve only played the first but I enjoyed it. I enjoyed running around a mall hitting zombies with whatever I could get my hands on. I’m not sure what the second was like, but Dead Rising 3 could be a good way to start your Xbone journey.



Forza Motorsport 5 (Xbone) – November 22

Genre: Racing
Why You Should Be Interested: Because it’s a racing game on launch day. Seriously. That’s what people do. Not me because I’m a rebel or whatever. I’ve also never played Forza and tend to prefer Mario Kart type racers, but if you’re a sim racing fan, I imagine this will be a good time. But Forza fans know more about this than me.



Ryse: Son of Rome (Xbone) – November 22

Genre: Action
Why You Should Be Interested: When I first saw it, it was a pretty QTE based fighter, which turned me off. But since, it’s been said that it’s not just that. I don’t know if anybody is sold on Ryse at this point or not. But with that said, it got people talking so it’s worth paying attention to.



Mario Party 3DS (3DS) – November 22

Genre: Party game
Why You Should Be Interested: You like party games, you’re probably a fan of Mario Party. I might actually pick it up because it’ll be something easy to sink my teeth into on the go (like at work when I’m supposed to be working).



The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (3DS) – November 22

Genre: Action/Adventure
Why You Should Be Interested: Like I even have to tell you. If you’re into Zelda, you’re going to get it, and chances are, you’re into Zelda. My biggest blasphemy throughout my almost 30 years on this planet is that I’m actually not a big Zelda fan. There are some that I enjoyed but I don’t love them. A Link to the Past is the one I came closest to loving, however, and since this is a sequel, I say power to it.
                It looks to be more of the same, but they did throw in the mechanic where you can turn into a drawing, which seems neat. But who am I kidding? More of the same is more than enough for Zelda fans, and that’s not a criticism because I understand it.



Super Mario 3D World (Wii U) – November 22

Genre: Platformer
Why You Should Be Interested: Because it’s Mario and it doesn’t matter how much Nintendo haters want to shit on Nintendo for releasing Mario all the time, Mario is awesome. It’s fun for kids and the mechanics are good for adults too. If you can’t enjoy Mario I don’t know what to tell you. This looks like another solid entry in a legendary series.



The Wolf Among Us: Episode 2 -- Smoke and Mirrors (PC, Xbox 360, PS3)

Genre: Adventure
Why You Should Be Interested: First off, IGN says November but I don’t know if that’s actually been confirmed.
                Second, I reviewed the first Episode here, and I loved it. If this is more of the same, and progresses the story in an interesting way where player choices matter somewhat, then we have another winner. I’m sure this will be just as good as the first, and I can’t see the gameplay changing much.
                If this kind of game is your thing, you’ll want to check out Episode 2 and well, the first one if you haven’t already.



X Rebirth (PC) – November 15

Genre: Space Sim
Why You Should Be Interested: It looks like X Rebirth might end up being something truly special. It is clear that there is a lot of care put into making this a memorable space sim, from the combat to the ship/empire building, it’s surely something to sink your teeth into if you’re into Space.


Battlefield 4, LEGO Marvel Super Heroes and Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag also see releases on next gen systems but I talked about them last month so I’m not going to talk about them again.


So that’s it for this month. Like I said above, there are games I’ve missed, but this is still a pretty solid list of games to keep you entertained this month.
                Miss any games you’re excited for? Let me know in the comments below.










No comments:

Post a Comment