Monday 30 December 2013

My Top 40 Games of 2013, 30 - 21 or How I Learned To Stop Worrying and Love Jack King-Spooner

Written By: Tyler Selig





                Welcome back to my Top 40 Games of 2013! In this here article, I’ll be giving you 30 – 21.

30: Super House of Dead Ninjas*
                Technically I believe this game came out last year, but this one is a re-release with more stuff and it was the first time I played it anyway, so I’m counting it as a 2013 game. It’s an SNES inspired – peep that name for proof – game where you descend a huge tower while gaining power-ups and whatnot. It’s not innovative, it’s just a lot of fun.

29: The Wolf Among Us Episode 1 – Faith
                I never played The Walking Dead, so I wasn’t really sure what their games are like nowadays. I had an idea, but wow, this game has a great story. It helps that the source material is apparently awesome to begin with, but even if you are like me and aren’t familiar with Fables, you know a lot of these characters anyway.

28: The Great Work
                The Great Work is a puzzle-platformer with a gorgeous art-style and wonderful mechanics. That about sums it up.

27: Moirai
                This is a short game, and to be honest it’s not even that exciting as most of it is just walking with very little to do. I don’t even want to say what ends up making it awesome, because I don’t want anything to be ruined. Play it, it’s free and it’ll take you approximately five or ten minutes anyway. You’ll at the very least get a game with a neat idea, and that counts a lot in the books of someone like myself who has been playing games for over twenty years.

26: Inventor
                If you’re a fan of any art form, you probably will find an artist that you can identify with. These are the type of people you look at and think, “This is similar to something I’d do if I had that kind of talent.” I have a couple game developers like that, and Jack King-Spooner is one of them. I love Inventor, and it’s not because it’s that much different than his other games I’ve played – you mostly just walk and press space, but there are some mini-games to play. I think his surreal visuals are some of the best he’s done. The only reason it doesn’t get higher is because short indie games don’t tend to get placed as high as full game experiences, and because as a game, it might leave a little to be desired. Not as an experience, but as a pure game.

25: Anarchy Reigns
                Anarchy Reigns came out of nowhere for me. It is multiplayer focused, and it’s a beat ‘em up. It does some interesting things with the genre and I don’t think so many people should sleep on this. Get an online community for this beast.

24: Will You Ever Return: in da hood
                Another Jack King-Spooner jam, I’ve thoroughly enjoyed his weird, funny, sincere and somehow tragic trilogy. I don’t know which one is the best, but I really liked this one, obviously.

23: Killer Is Dead
                Suda51 is another game designer that I really like. If you haven’t noticed, I tend to gravitate most towards oddballs, and Suda is definitely that. Killer Is Dead has a few problems, and it’s not as good as Lollipop Chainsaw, but it’s still a weird, action-packed game with some strange, yet memorable, characters. Killer is dead.

22: Crysis 3
                Unfortunately my PC couldn’t run this, but I played it for 360 and it was another solid entry in Crysis, a first-person shooter that allows the player a little more freedom when going about their business. Plus you can go invisible.

21: Sluggish Morrs: A Delicate Time In History
                And yet another King-Spooner game. The sad thing is, if I got time to play Blues For Mittavinda that’d probably be on here too. Sluggish Morrs: A Delicate Time in History is better than Sluggish Morrs because there’s just more to it… a little more gameplay, more interesting events, everything.

                When I made this list I wasn’t aware of the extent of my man crush on King-Spooner. It’s almost creepy at this point. Make sure to tune in again tomorrow for my next ten picks, and comment below if you got something you want to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment