Sunday 1 December 2013

Ye Indie Game Corner 1 - Reviews For Galah Galah and Moirai



Written By: Tyler Selig



                It’s been a little bit since my last blog post, and that’s because I’ve been moving to a new house so times have been busy. However, I am back. Outside of this article, there will be a new On The Gamely in the next couple days along with a full review of Super Mario 3D World.
                But just as an article to keep all three of you as fans, every now and again I will do a short review of a few indie games that I’ve played recently (I will try to keep them to new releases). As far as I know these two games were released within the past couple weeks.


Galah Galah
Rating: 8.5/10
Coolest elevator ride since Drive. Or something.

                I have to admit I’ve become kind of a… fanatic of Jake Clover, because I view him as a David Lynch of video games. I know Lynch has become the go-to director to reference when something is surreal but I feel he’s a better fit than someone like Jodorowsky. Anyway, not to get all off-topic and onto movies, but I just love what Jake Clover does, as I count Nuign Specter in my Top 100 games of all time.
                So what does Galah Galah offer? He bills it as a “game which involves a number of glitchy alien experiences. It’s meant to be a game version of a video of unfinished games.” It’s a little less WTF than some games, but it’s still ultimately WTF mixed in with some minimalist gameplay. I don’t say that as an insult, because the visuals are well done and his art-style has always fit the nature of his games. Though a lot of the gameplay is simply walking from point A to B, he does throw in some parts where you can die.
                But Galah Galah is another interesting experiment, a game that uses audio and video in fun ways to give you an experience unlike others. It’s a short game, and these types of 10 minute games allow the developers to get away with certain things a full game can’t.


Moirai
Rating: 8.5/10

Someone's gonna get a hurt on real bad.

                Moirai is a first-person adventure game where you end up wandering through a cave for a brief amount of time. We see a lot of games like this in the indie community that aren’t heavy on gameplay, but Moirai comes with a very novel feature that I won’t spoil.
                Because I don’t want to spoil it, I can’t give a real great review because there’s only so much I can talk about with a short game.
                I did think that the music was fitting, and the game tells its simplistic story in a very clever way, and it’s because of that reason that Moirai gets an 8.5 from me. I’m a sucker for experimentalism and things that are outside the norm.



                Well there you have it, two 8.5s to start this off. Don’t like what I have to say? Yeah, me neither, but let me know in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment