Sunday 29 December 2013

My Top 40 Games Of 2013 -- 40 - 31



Written By: Tyler Selig


                Well everybody, here it is, the moment you’ve been waiting for – my top 40 games of 2013. I will be posting up ten every day for the next four days, so let’s have some fun with this.

40: One Way Heroics
                The Roguelike is a pretty common genre within the indie community, and I can see why because it means there’s a lot of replay value. One Way Heroics does a kind of “forced progression” where every time you take a step, the screen moves to the right a little. What this means is that you have to make choices as you play, about where to go, because you may prevent yourself from getting somewhere if you’re not careful. It’s a neat concept and one that makes One Way Heroics stand out.

39: The Showdown Effect
                There’s this game named ZP2KX that I really like, but the online community is almost non-existent because it’s just an indie game. I love the side-scrolling death matches, though. The Showdown Effect is a lot like it… I don’t think it’s as good but it’s still pretty solid and a lot of fun.

38: Sluggish Morrs
                Sluggish Morrs is a surreal indie game (one of two with the title Sluggish Morrs). It’s short and free, and I just enjoy how weird and creative it is. It’s not for everybody though.

37: The Cave
                Ron Gilbert returns with another charming, funny puzzle-platformer/adventure title. It’s a lot of fun exploring the cave because there’s real personality involved in this game and the puzzles are logical.

36: Sense
                Sense is a short game made for Ludum Dare, where you basically have to use two senses in order to get through the game. It’s a quick, yet entertaining adventure, but what sets it above is the clear sense (ha) of atmosphere. It’s not that the game is graphically impressive because it’s rather simplistic… it’s that the one song that plays as you platform is, well, fucking incredible.

35: The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing
                I’m a big fan of the ARPG – action-RPG to those who aren’t as cool as me – and this was a surprise for me. It’s not the best of the best, by any means, but it was a completely solid experience and a worthy addition to the ARPG canon.

34: Monaco
                I think this isn’t higher because I played it by myself. It’s a wonderful game with a great art-style and lovely music. It also has a focus on playing with other people but for some reason I flew solo. It’s still an awesome game, though.

33: Army of Two: The Devil’s Cartel
                Speaking of playing with other people, I have a bias towards games that are geared towards co-op. It’s why I’ve always been a fan of the Army of Two series and think that they’re a tad underrated. They don’t do anything that new, but they’re entertaining third-person shooters. Some of the criticisms I saw levelled on this game are ridiculous though. No air guitaring? The bromance shit was always stupid anyway. It doesn’t make sense for two men to take down an entire cartel? Guess what, it’s an action video game.

32: Shadowrun: Returns
                I believe I said this in my article yesterday, but I’ll repeat it. While this isn’t as good as the SNES classic, it’s still worth playing because Shadowrun is a rich and deep universe, and this game does it justice. The fact that they give you tools to make your own is also a plus.

31: Metro: Last Light
                I skipped out on the first Metro for whatever reason, but I played this one and it’s a tense, creepy and action-packed first-person shooter. It’s really well done.


                Well that’s it for today… make sure to tune in again tomorrow for my next ten picks!

No comments:

Post a Comment