Thursday 26 December 2013

My 30 Most Anticipated Games of 2014: 30 - 16



Written By: Tyler Selig    

I've been to the future, I know.
               

                Before I celebrate the year in games, I just want to take an opportunity to give you a rundown of some – not all because that’s way too much work – of my games that I’m anticipating most next year. Believe me, next year is shaping up to be an incredible year, but then, all years are good, regardless of what some people want to say. This will be two parts, the first part released today and the second released tomorrow so make sure to check back.
However, this year there was a bit of a lull at the beginning, as their often is, but next year has decided to launch a bunch of games of interest right off the bat.
These have to be games that have at least been announced for a 2014 release, even if they end up getting delayed. It feels wrong not including some of the games that were in the rough draft of the list, but the integrity of the list is important so I argued with myself to come up with the thirty games that, as of this moment, I am most hyped for that come out in 2014! Let’s do this. 

Games I Forgot When Making the List:
Conception II – 2014 North American release, looks like a great RPG.
The Evil Within – Will hopefully be incredibly scary.
South Park and the Stick of Truth – Much delayed, looks to have the South Park charm.
Quantum Break – Could just be a shit-ton of fun.
DayZ – The kind of game that is “next gen” to me. It’s in Alpha now. Hopefully 2014 sees the full release.
Dungeon Defenders 2 – I can’t believe I forgot some of these games. So hyped for this one.


30: Bravely Default (3DS)

                There are a bunch of games next year coming to both Wii U and 3DS, but Bravely Default is the only game on this list that is only coming to 3DS. I’m sure the 3DS will have another fantastic year, but as of making this list… it was a little dry on 3DS exclusives.
                I’m a JRPG guy, having grown up playing Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, etc and it’s nice to see another JRPG hit North American shores and look awesome. A big selling point to me here is the fact that there’s a job system, which I always appreciate.
               

29: Child of Light (PC, PS3, PS4, Wii U, Xbox 360, Xbox One)

                Damn, another JRPG thrown in here? Yes, and due to the fact that I have faith in Ubisoft, I’m really excited for this one. It looks beautiful, and with its platforming and story, it looks like it’s going to be something truly special.

28: LISA the painful RPG (PC)

                Wow another RPG! But yeah, I Kickstartered this, and I’m really excited because it has an interesting premise and looks to do quite a bit of interesting things with the premise. It has a gritty, dark art-style but it’s not without humour. The creator has a better description of what to expect from this game, so I’ll just link the Kickstarter page: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/131274701/lisa-the-painful-rpg


27: Interstellar Marines (PC)

                I haven’t actually played this even though I can, mostly because I don’t want to play betas… I bought it because it said it was going to be like Rainbow Six with some RPG elements, and that had me sold because we don’t have a lot of tactical shooters anymore, and I love me some RPG elements in shooters anyway. Not to mention my older brother, who I do most of my gaming with, also likes those things and this game is going to have co-op. I haven’t even really read about it anymore or watched videos, because they already have my money and I want to experience it when it’s done, so it may not be shaping up to be much for all I know, but I’m excited.


26:  Sunset Overdrive (Xbox One)

                Insomniac Games meets Parkour, crazy platforming action… with some fun, silly violence. I just think this game is going to be a great time for those who aren’t super cereal all the time. Makes me wish I had an Xbox One.


25: Halo 5

                It’s not that I’m against Halo, because I am most definitely not. I love Halo – it’s been one of my go-to Multiplayer shooters for years and I always play through the campaign. I got mad respect for Halo. Playstation 4 was always going to be my primary system, but when Microsoft fucked up their E3 Press Conference, I didn’t say, “Goodbye Microsoft.” I said, “Goodbye Halo.” It’s that important.
                It’s just that there are so many new experiences coming, and games in series that I like more, that the anticipation for Halo drops a little. Look, I don’t need to tell you that Halo 5 is going to be awesome, because they’ve all been (ODST less so, but it was still good). If you’re reading this blog you probably already know what the series has given us, and seeing the first Next-Gen entry will be incredible. It’ll be one of the games of the year.
                That trailer is also epic as hell.


24: Pillars of Eternity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-CPTsWLfWM

                Formally known as Project Eternity, this is a throw-back to those classic PC Point-And-Click RPGs – except this time it’s not focused on D&D. That seems like it’d be controversial a little bit, but I don’t really care because while there are a few of them I really like, PC gaming was not my thing back then (as I never even got my first PC until I was 16, and it wasn’t a gaming one anyway). I don’t have loyalty to the old guard, is what I’m trying to say.
                Pillars of Eternity looks to be a fantastic addition to the genre, however, and I eagerly await the tactical gameplay, and I hope that there’s a good amount of depth because let’s face it… this genre without depth is a terrible tragedy.



23: Torment: Tides of Numenera

                Planescape: Torment is my favourite game in the canon of the PC Point-And-Click RPGs. I loved the humour, and the plot was up there with the all-time greats. I also enjoyed the fact that you didn’t really have to fight, so it opened up the game a little bit more than other games within the genre.
                Well, this is the spiritual successor, and even if it’s only half as good as the original, it’ll be awesome.
               


22: Hyper Light Drifter (PC)


                I think this ends up being one of those special indie games that come along and show the big boys how to do it, much like a game like Bastion. Everything from the beautiful visuals to the music, to the intense looking action… this is shaping up to be an epic adventure, and I certainly can’t wait to play it. That trailer is awesome.


21: Below (Xbox One)

                That video above is all I’ve seen about the game, and that’s all it took. I mean, it also helps that I was such a fan of Sword & Sworcery, so I have a tremendous amount of faith. Like Hyper Light Drifter, this will be special. It’ll be one of the games of the year.
                Even the view is a little bit different, it being more pulled out than most games. You have the team that did Sword & Sworcery, with Guthrie returning to do the music – I just can’t see how this can’t be amazing. It’s another reason why I need an Xbox One.


20: Transistor (PS4, PC)

                I’ve mentioned Bastion, and now we have the successor to that classic – Transistor. It looks to follow the same formula that brought Bastion to the dance, which is a wonderful story and fun action, but I’m not saying that they’re just using all the same tricks because they aren’t, such as the fact that it’s got turn-based strategy. To be hones the gameplay sort-of reminds me of Parasite Eve in ways, which is always a good thing.


19: The Elder Scrolls Online (PC, PS4, Xbox One)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWXjzLEGV9U

As much as I try not to be excited for this game because of the monthly subscription fee, I can’t help it! I’ve always said that while the Elder Scrolls games are great, if they let me play with someone they’d be so much better. And sure enough, here we are, and this may be a game I wave my hate for monthly subscription fees and actually pick up.


18: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (PC, PS4, Xbox One)
               
                The only reason this isn’t higher is because I haven’t played the first or second games, and I don’t know if that means that I won’t understand the story in the third or not. I hope that they do a good job of introducing newbies to the series, plot-wise, because this game looks like it’s going to live up to the hype.

17: Watch Dogs (PC, PS3, PS4, Wii U, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Your Eyeballs, Atari 2600, PS8, Xbox Two, Game Gear
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPYgXvgS6Ww

                There’s this game that built a ridiculous amount of excitement last year, and then we thought we’d finally play it in 2013, but now we’re not. My hype dropped a little bit over the year, mostly because they were throwing so much into our face, but it’s hard to deny that Watch Dogs is going to do something original with the Sandbox genre.
                It’s also coming to everything so you’ll be able to play it.

16: No Man’s Sky (PC)

                This game came out of nowhere and blew people away. They promise to let you explore anything that you can see, and this is a really ambitious game for such a small team. There’s not a hell of a lot known about it so far, but it looks to be an awe-inspiring experience.


                 So make sure to tune in tomorrow for the final fifteen. Each day up until the new year there will be new content, so make sure to check out this blog everyday! After my most anticipated games of 2014, I'll have my miscellaneous awards for 2013 games, and then four days of listing my top 40 games of 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment