Friday 27 December 2013

My Most Anticipated Games of 2014: 15 - 1



Written By: Tyler Selig



15: Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number (PS4, PC, Vita)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beUrlDwf56w

                I’m not unfamiliar with cactus, so when I played Hotline Miami 2 I wasn’t surprised that it was dark and weird. What I was surprised with the gameplay. You couldn’t just shoot, you had to plan your next move. It was video game chess, and it got frustrating sometimes (also because of bugs) but damn, the story was sufficiently nuts, it was really fun, and the game was just memorable as a whole.
                Give me more of that, you have a winner.


14: Destiny (PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One)

                No monthly subscription fee, Bungie, not an MMO but actually is an MMO? Yup, that’s Destiny in a nutshell. It’s hard not to be hyped for Destiny because of all of these things. Try watching that video and not get excited for it.

13: EA Sports UFC (PS4, Xbox One)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkDED86sskU

                Whenever a new Fight Night or MMA game comes out, I always play it for hours upon hours, always telling myself “just one more fight” but then being unable to resist to urge to build my fighter more and beat more people up. They’re really the only sports games I play.
                Though MMA hasn’t had a great track record in video game format (good games, not quite there yet), I still look forward to seeing what Next-Gen can do for the sport, especially considering it’s EA doing it this time so I want to see what they bring to UFC.


12: Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls (PC, PS4)

                I’ve gone to bat for Diablo 3 because I put over 100 hours into it and I did genuinely enjoy it. However, I can acknowledge the flaws that it has, namely the levelling up system which is one I understand but don’t prefer.
                Reaper of Souls is trying to right a lot of the wrongs, and adds another class in… so I’m really excited for it.

11: Bayonetta 2 (Wii U)

                Partially because it’s a Wii U exclusive so I have to support it, partially because Bayonetta was a silly, action-packed, fun, crazy romp, I really want to play this. I think Nintendo  has a winner on their hands here.

10: Lily Bergamo (PS4)

                I don’t know much about this game other than Suda51 is making it. That’s enough for me because I’m almost always a fan of his stylish, batshit-insane games. I am one of the few people who loved Lollipop Chainsaw.
                Here’s hoping this game is his best.

9: Final Fantasy XV (PS4, Xbox One)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3xKbPooKAo

                I have to admit something: I haven’t loved a Final Fantasy since 10, but my love for 10 is not that of 7, so really it’s been like 15 years since I’ve felt incredibly passionate towards a Final Fantasy (though like I said, I loved 10, and I thought 9 was great too). I skipped 11, hated 12, skipped 13 because it didn’t look appealing and haven’t played 14.
                With all of that said, Final Fantasy is in my veins, and I’m hoping that this is the next Final Fantasy that I love. It looks a lot different than others, and it better end up being awesome because in my eyes, Final Fantasy needs to return to glory – though to be fair, A Realm Reborn looks great… I just hate subscription fees.


8: Titanfall (PC, Xbox 360, Xbox One)

                Incredibly hyped first-person shooter, but as far as I can see, it’s warranted. It really does look incredible, and different than the others. I’m sure it doesn’t dethrone Killzone as my primary online shooter, but if any shooter can, it’s this one. It will most likely sit comfortably in second, because being able to jump around as much as you can in this opens up the gameplay and gives us something different.


7: Starbound (PC)

                I love Terraria, and Starbound looks to be a worthy successor. It really seems like it’s being improved in all ways – it’s a little more epic, a little more RPG, a little more buildy-buildy, and that soundtrack is incredible. Peep the trailer and try not to get pumped for it.

6: Mario Kart 8 (Wii U)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mU7tXqYplA8
                It’s Mario Kart. I will always love the series, because it’s chaotic racing with characters we love. I was sold on it before I saw footage, but it looks to change up the gameplay a little bit by adding different types of vehicles, more-so than in previous entries. Pre-ordered.

5: Tom Clancy’s The Division (PC, PS4, Xbox One)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njfj6KwEAfg

                This was the game that blew me away the most at E3 this year. It just looked like a solid co-op third-person shooter, which would be reason enough for me to buy, but then at the end of the trailer when other players come in. I sat there thinking, “Holy shit, this will be cool.”
                I think to this day, there isn’t a lot of information but we’ve seen how interactive the environment is and some other details. As far as I know, it’s not totally clear how the online aspects work, but I’m ridiculously excited for this.

4: Super Smash Bros. (Wii U, 3DS)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvudMu-5kIU

                Super Smash Bros. has been my favourite fighting series since the first one, though Street Fighter will always have a soft spot in my heart. I love the chaotic nature of the series and disagree with anybody who says it doesn’t take skill. The idea behind it is to be able to control the chaos and make it work in your favour. By chaos I mean that the levels always shift and change, and you can play with four people on screen. I also like how it sort-of has a health bar but it doesn’t work like other games.
                Like a lot of Nintendo things, there’s crossover appeal too. Want to beat up Link with Kirby? Sure, you can do that. With this installment, you can finally play as Mega Man, which should be awesome. I also look forward to trying out the Villager.

3: Earth Defense Force 2025 (PS3, Xbox 360)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu7HqyHTJ38

                I mention this every time I discuss Earth Defense Force, but if you just want a game that is a game in the purest sense of the word, this series is where you go. It’s hilariously low-budget, with buildings collapsing easily, and all you do is shoot hordes and hordes of giant ants, spiders, and robots. There isn’t anything complicated here.
                I love it.
                The reason it’s not number two on my list is mostly because it’s last-gen. Since it’s already out in Japan, this is only coming to PS3 and Xbox 360. It’s a shame because even though I know it won’t ever be a AAA title, I want to see what they’d do with it if given more power.
                Still… it’s Earth Defense Force. It’ll be fun to shoot aliens again while listening to funny one-liners.

2: X (Wii U)

                Do you own a Wii and haven’t played Xenoblade: Chronicles? Stop reading this and go play it right now. It’s one of the best RPGs ever and is one of the top three or four of the last ten years.
                Why does this matter? The same developers are unleashing X onto us, and even though there hasn’t been a lot announced concerning the game, we know there are giant robots and that the developers at Monolith Soft are awesome people who make legendary games.
                I didn’t even have to see the game, I just needed to know who’s making it. It helps that they’ve promised a bigger, more expansive world and it’s probably going to be RPG of the year.

1: Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain (PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xw5t45tEPWQ
                There could only be one, even from the beginning of the list. There were no other games that could touch this. Any year that there’s a core Metal Gear is a year that it gets number one in something. I have never been let down, and it doesn’t look like this will change with the newest in the series.
                Kojima is giving us a more open Metal Gear this time around, and even though I’m the first to admit that open-world games are becoming a tad oversaturated, I’m still curious to see what they do with a less-linear Metal Gear.
                The trailers already look fantastic, and I’m sure that the story will be as emotional and deep as they have been in previous entries. I’m sure the classic stealth gameplay will be as thrilling as it has been. I can guarantee that the bosses will be as weird and sometimes whacky as they have been in the past.
                What I’ve always loved about the series, at least since Solid, was that the game is serious but they do throw in humour. The game is a great example of games being art, but it never forgets that it’s a game at its core. I know some will say it has too many video scenes, but it’s never bothered me because I’m so invested in what’s going on.
I actually need to play Peace Walker because I never had a PSP before (I know they released an HD remake as well), but I intend to play that in anticipation, right before The Phantom Pain comes out.



                What this all means, of course, is that I need a better job so I can buy all these games. 

                What did you think? Did I miss a game that you are excited for? Let me know in the comments below or follow me on Twitter @ArtBathednCrime and tell me you hate me there. Make sure to check the blog daily from now on because the Awardicons – Best of the Year Awards – have officially started.

No comments:

Post a Comment