Tuesday 25 March 2014

Top Ten Tuesday - 10 Best Action RPGs (Hack n' Slash Yo) Of All Time

Written By: Tyler

Because the Diablo 3 expansion Reaper of Souls has been released today, I figured it was fitting (and topical, go me!) to share my Top Ten ARPGs with the entire world. If you are unsure of what I mean, I am talking a sub-genre of the RPG that focuses a lot on demolishing hordes upon hordes of enemies while getting copious amounts of loot.

One last thing... I tend to only pick one game from a series when doing these lists so I don't take up a bunch of spots if there's a few good games in a series. The only time I pick multiple games from the same series is if I feel they are different enough from one another to warrant being their own separate entity.

So let's do this.



10: Torchlight 2


There's a lot of wonkiness on this list, even though I feel I include a lot of the choices other people would. Torchlight 2 should be higher in a lot of people's mind, as many feel it is the true Diablo 2 successor (not Diablo 3). Some people were more excited for this sequel than Diablo 3.

I enjoy Torchlight 2, and I like that the character classes break away from what we expect. I wasn't a huge fan of the artstyle, but the main reason it isn't higher is simply because I didn't play it enough to put it higher. Had I sunk a bunch of hours in to truly experience it, it may have gotten higher.


9: Realm of the Mad God


Which is why a game like Realm of The Mad God is probably a contentious choice. Some would say it's not even in the genre, but with its focus on loot and fast-paced combat, I would say that it has enough in common with the genre to be included here. I don't care. It's my list. I do what I want.

Realm of the Mad God has a great name, but it's on here because underneath the simple graphics, it is an intense ARPG/MMO Shooter. There's usually a lot going on and when you raid the castle of the Mad God it's thrilling. Okay, so it's probably more MMORPG than ARPG, kind of the reverse of Marvel Heroes which is more ARPG than MMORPG. But still.


8: Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 2


It's just an action RPG with superheroes. It doesn't do anything special with the genre but it's a solid experience that gets more points with me because playing as Deadpool makes me happy.


7: Champions: Return To Arms



Champions: Return To Arms is just another solid Fantasy ARPG. The leveling up system is fine, the classes are interesting but not altogether different from other games within the genre... but what matters most is that the game is designed and balanced well on all fronts.

6: Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 2


It's very probable that Champions is better than this, but I spent so much time with this one and have so many memories that I have to put it higher. Much like Champions, it's not that it does anything incredibly different, but this was also on PS2 and was top of its class.


5: Borderlands 2


Of course, there's always going to be some argument when it comes to genres, but I think Borderlands is more acceptable than Realm of The Mad God. Hear me out: Borderlands is basically Diablo with guns. Copious amounts of loot (weapons in this case)? Check. A bunch of enemies to fight? Sure, though not as many as in Diablo. Spiritually I think the game is similar. Okay, so maybe I stretch it a bit to include it, but I stand by Borderlands being on this list.


4: Titan Quest






Described as a Diablo clone, it also does it incredibly well. It had some of the problems that Diablo 2 had (yes, there are problems with that game... look below), but it also did some really interesting things with the genre in the sense that you can actually choose a main class and a sub-class. That was really great to me. Outside of that, it's just solid hack n' slash RPG action.



3: Diablo 2/3


I took the easy way out on this one, because I'm constantly conflicted. This will be the longest entry, but I have a lot to say about it.

I think Diablo 2 is a better game... I think. In case you didn't realize it, I think.

I actually only came to Diablo with Diablo 3, which is blasphemy in some circles. I didn't have the loyalty to the second one so I just played it as it is. I also played it with my brother which makes games significantly better and makes me think highly of the game. I put over a hundred hours into Diablo 3.

So I went back to Diablo 2 and tried it out since it's cheap. I also played it with my brother, who has been playing Diablo for a long time. The game has not aged as well as it could have, and I know, I know, that's not overly fair to the game since it is influential and old. Obviously some things will improve. In a bunch of ways, Diablo 2 is better than the third. I am also aware of mods that will improve the issues that I don't like about the second, and I guess the ability to mod should be considered when choosing a game. But the problems in the original, unmodded D2 still exist.

Diablo 3 isn't a perfect game, but I do really enjoy it. It was a little bit different than some of the other games in the genre, in regards to how it handles leveling up, but some of the criticisms (like the visuals) are just dumb in my eyes.

But still, I'll give Diablo 2 the nod over 3.


2: Path of Exile


Path of Exile has a good argument for being the greatest game in this genre, and I would give it that distinction had I spent more time with it. Whether people want to admit it or not, the time spent with a game can get you more emotionally invested and make you think the game is better than it may actually be. But I love Path of Exile. It just ended up getting lost in the shuffle.

Why do I love it? The leveling up system is basically the Sphere Grid from Final Fantasy X, which is one of my favourite leveling systems of all time. It also breaks from the norm and instead of having money it operates on a barter system. The way you get skills is by putting gems into your weapons and armor. It just does a bunch of things different and it's really refreshing.

Best of all, it's free.

1: Sacred 2: Fallen Angel



I give Sacred 2 the slight nod over Path of Exile for now, even if it is a little more normal than PoE. I do really enjoy the leveling up system though, and for a while it was my favourite in the genre. I like the sense of humour the game has and how massive it is. There are lots of enemies to kill, lots of loot to gather, and even has a dog with a cannon on his arm. After all, isn't that what we want from the genre?

No comments:

Post a Comment