Thursday 2 January 2014

2014 Kicks Off With A Walk Through The Desert With a Shotgun With No Name - A Tandoor Review

Written By: Tyler Selig

Your guess is as good as mine.




                I was planning on giving the blog a rest for a little bit, but a new Jake Clover game came out so I eagerly went and downloaded it here: http://gamejolt.com/games/adventure/tandoor/20755
                I figured, why not throw out a quick review of it? So here it is.


Rating: 3.5/10
Verdict: Jake Clover is an incredibly talented guy and he’s one of my favourite indie developers but I can’t recommend Tandoor because there just isn’t a lot here outside of some interesting design choices and some possible deeper meanings.
               
                As I stated in the Verdict above, I am a big Jake Clover fan. He releases a bunch of games, and pretty much all of them that I’ve played have been at least an 8 out of 10. Nuign Specter is a Top 100 Game of All Time for me. Unfortunately, every artist craps out a turd, so to speak. So it’s with that I move onto my review, my first 2014 game and also my first disappointment.
                If you haven’t played any of his games, they tend to be weird, symbolic and weird. Did I mention weird? I group him in with other developers who are creating their own path, such as cactus and Jack King-Spooner. He has an art style that seems sloppy but really isn’t, as it’s got its own twisted beauty that perfectly fits the universes that he creates. Most of his games are a little light on game play but a lot of these short indie games are. It’s his powerful vision that drives everything forward and it’s almost always a joy to experience.
                Tandoor follows his own formula. You can expect to see some weird shaped creatures (including the one you play as), and there is a simplistic but effective world built here. Birds fly through the air, and there are these big blue things in the distance looming over everything. The game is light on music but the lonely wind blows and you realize that you are mostly alone.
You drive up to a desert, get out of your car, go into a building and pick up a shotgun. From there you travel into said desert, killing distorted enemies and what I can only assume are humans. The idea of “stop, get a boomstick, go into the vast desert and become a murderous psycho” is one that appeals to me. I’m not sure what that says about me. Actually I do, I just can’t admit to it because I’ll get thrown in jail.
The gameplay is apparently endless, if you go by what Clover says himself. I’m not one to put an artist in a box… in fact, seeing as how I’m going to eventually write, I try very hard to look at author intent over everything. It’s why I may be more forgiving than others in a lot of cases. However, with Tandoor, I feel the endless desert was just a bad idea. I walked around for a bit and then when I read that it was endless I just quit. I had no purpose. You can usually look forward to seeing how Clover is going to finish everything off, but I feel the lack of climax hurts the game. With that said, I can never begin to say I understand everything that he is trying to do, and the infinite nature of the desert could very well be a statement within itself. Even as I write this, I want to be more forgiving because I sit here thinking of possible metaphors. However, despite that and the fact that you can go first-person and shoot things, it doesn’t save Tandoor from feeling a little more pointless than his other games.
                I originally gave this game a 2 out of 10, but I knocked it up a bit because there are design choices I admire, and they’re simple. Like Nuign Specter, your gun is loud and unnerving. I absolutely love how abrupt and earth shattering it is, like you know, an instrument of destruction that can drastically alter a life should be. Like I said above, I like the atmosphere that Tandoor creates. Then the other reason I knocked it up to a 3.5 is because I’m a sucker for challenging and odd symbolism, in which Tandoor may have.
                In the end though, I feel this is a misstep for a developer who I greatly admire. But hey, check it out since it's free, and maybe I'm an ignorant ass who "misses the point." Try it for yourself, and support talent.

No comments:

Post a Comment