Sunday 12 January 2014

Becoming a Star Wars Fan One Step At A Time -- A Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2 Review



Written By: Tyler Selig


                HEY EVERYBODY! There’s a new Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic and I’m reviewing it! Of course, you knew instantly that I was kidding because if you’re a KOTOR fan, there’s no way they slip a sequel by you without you knowing.
                I haven’t written anything here in a long time. Indeed, I was strongly considering shutting this down – a feeling that I admittedly have way too often. However, until I finally decide to pull the plug, I do have some ideas for articles. I also have plans to review new games once 2014 games start actually hitting stores. Until then, I’m mostly dealing in retro games (if the 2000s can be considered retro in this case), and other various articles. I am also considering doing a review in a month or more for Final Fantasy: A Realm Reborn because I just broke down and bought it after much argument… with myself.
                So with that said, now you know where I’ve been all this time which is absolutely nowhere in particular, and we can continue on with a review for a game that I actually had never played until now, despite hearing its praises over and over. I’m ashamed, you don’t have to tell me that I suck.
                Of course, I’m talking about Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2 – The Sith Lords.
               

Rating: 8.5/10
Verdict: The sequel to the overwhelmingly loved Knights of the Old Republic is an accomplishment in role-playing games, but it does have some flaws (that are apparently fixed by installing certain mods). Whether you like Star Wars or not, there is a lot to love here due to the control you have over what takes place and the in-depth game play.
               
I feel like I’m in therapy because there are some more confessions I need to make. Firstly, I am not really a Star Wars guy and that probably a large reason why I haven’t played this game until now. I don’t hate Star Wars, I’m just indifferent despite actually admiring a few aspects of it. I have pledged to make 2014 the year that I get into it. The second confession is that I haven’t played the first Knights of the Old Republic, which most people will agree is the better of the two.
                Whew, now that that’s over with, let’s get on with the review. It’s important to note that I beat the game once, apparently missed a few neat things, and I played as an evil prick.
                I want to start with the bad to get it over with, and there are some problems that keep me from rating it a 9 out of 10. Before anybody says it, I am aware that there are mods out there, but I didn’t use them so I don’t know what they entail. I also believe that a reviewer should review the game as it was put out. Steam gave me this, so this is what I review.
                What I’m trying to say is that the game is buggy. There were plenty of times that my game glitched and I wouldn’t attack, or the character did something stupid like walk the long way around to get to an enemy. I got stuck on pieces of the environment that weren’t there. There were just a fair amount of times that my game did things that it wasn’t really supposed to do. My understanding is that people have been critical because the game “isn’t finished” and is “unpolished.” I can see both of these things being true, but it’s not a game breaker by any means.
                Sometimes weird things happened, such as awkward transitions to the next event. I also found that the cutscenes were for the most part pretty poor. I am aware it’s not a cinematic RPG like Final Fantasy tends to be. I also take into account that the game was made in 2004, but even by those standards some of the scenes were just painful to watch. There were very few that I thought were pleasant to my eyes, and most of those were near the end.
                The beginning area is incredibly long and uneventful. My brother, who bought me the game and adores the series, even admits to this. He knows everything because he’s my blood and he is also from the Dark Side. The base should have been shortened, because there really wasn’t a lot going on of interest and it almost took me out of the game entirely. I hate bad beginnings.
                When the game opens up, it’s worthy of the celebration it gets. The game is non-linear, meaning you can go to any of the planets and complete it as you see fit. The game doesn’t hold your hand, but sometimes events didn’t take place as they should so I’d be confused about where to go next. It was rare but it happened. Still, being able to hop from world to world at my own leisure (except for periods in the story where one was off limits) was a joy. Doing the quests that each world presented were fun as well. It’s not ground breaking in its own right, but it’s a solid RPG experience in that regard.
                Where the game excels most is the story. Even today there are very few games where your decisions matter. Mass Effect – made by the same company – does this (don’t tell me about the ME3 ending!), and KOTOR is where they planted the seeds for that. Every conversation matters because each NPC with a name that you meet could mean something to you. Answering a question could reflect greatly or poorly on you. If you’re going for the Dark Side, you could answer a question a little nicer than you wanted and you get Light Side points. The game does a good job of grouping “good” and “bad” answers together, and it also does a wonderful job of giving you a sense of real morality, whether you choose to be a complete badass like me, or choose to be a pansy and uh, help people. These choices impact the story in various ways, and it’s a real treat to see how this detailed – and as much as I’m indifferent to Star Wars at this point, I can admit that there is a lot of great material to mine for a Sci-Fi story – plays out, all the way to the end. And oh, wasn’t the end glorious, me walking around as a complete beast Force Storming my way back into their hearts.
                On top of that you build relationships with your character. Admittedly, like real life nobody liked me that much, and it wasn’t until after I had beaten the game that I was told that you can turn your characters into Jedis if they like you enough. Damn. Regardless, it does make you care about the people in your life.
                You play with up to three characters at a time, and they have different skills that they excel in. If your main character is lacking in something, like Repair, then put someone in your team that can do it. Bao-Dur was pretty much a God to me because he was great at everything I was not. On a side note I hated the Handmaiden because she was also pissing on my parade. Fuck you I want to murder that person!
                The UI for everything is easy to maneuver, with everything just being a click away to access, so I have no complaints with how the game looks and feels in that regard. You can easily get to your melee attacks (in which there are different options) or your spells. Your light and dark powers are even in different sections. Also included in the hotbars are things like grenades, your different stances, abilities and items to use. It’s very easy to get into for someone who hasn’t played the game before.
                Nothing about the game is complicated except for your moral choices if you’re actually a person with a conscience. Upgrading your equipment and creating items are easy, operating on a simplified system in which you get components or chemicals by finding them or breaking down items. Upgrading your equipment is a breeze as well.
                Leveling up has the right amount of complexity, but doesn’t confuse you. Basically there are four things you can level up, your attributes, skills, powers and feats, though you can’t always level all of them up. Everything is laid out in a nice fashion that keeps it from being a chore.
                I was given this advice and I will give it to anybody who hasn’t played the game yet – when beginning, decide whether you want to go Dark Side or Light Side and go all in. That doesn’t mean you can’t get a Light Side spell if you’re on the path to Sith, especially since the healing spell is on that spectrum. What I mean is that using the Light Side takes more force points when you’re on the Dark Side and vice versa. Don’t half-ass this.
                I know I’m late to the party but I’m glad I finally played it. It’s a lengthy campaign, being roughly thirty hours if you do the story and some of the side-quests, and I intend to do a playthrough on the Light Side at some point in my life. Knights of the Old Republic 2 deserves its place in the RPG canon and it should be a must-play for any RPG fan.
               

No comments:

Post a Comment