Monday 27 January 2014

Tim Schafer Returns! A Broken Age Act 1 Review! Exclamation Marks!



Written By: Tyler Selig




Rating: 8/10
Verdict: Tim Shafer’s first point-and-click adventure game since the legendary Grim Fandango is another great addition to the genre, with memorable characters and jokes, but may be a little easy for adventure aficionados. 

                I have to start this review by saying that the only reason I don’t rate this game higher is that I’m not exactly a big fan of the genre that it’s in. I’d say it’s one of my least favourite genres, but I don’t hate it by any means. I love games like Grim Fandango, but the amount of point-and-click adventure titles that I can say that about are slim. So with that bias out of the way, you can adjust your rating by about a point or so because it is truly a great game.
                What makes it great? The story and characters, much like the classics in the genre. This is something I’ve always respected about point-and-clicks because the story isn’t often a centerpiece for most video games. If it is, developers often sacrifice the gameplay and admittedly the mechanics that operate the genre aren’t preferable for me. Maybe it’s because I’m too stupid to figure out the puzzles, but the gameplay in the genre doesn’t entice me as much as it does others. I wonder how many times I can say genre in this review?
                The story in Broken Age Act 1 is whimsical, odd, intriguing and creative. You play as two different characters, with two different stories that end up connecting at some point. How they connect is a pretty magnificent thing, and both stories offer a good degree of humour, absurdity and darkness. I was pretty invested in Vellas story especially because it focuses on sacrificing yourself, whereas when you’re playing as Shay you’re essentially trying to free yourself from a bored life that was created for you when you were a child and still has that structure of immaturity.
                If you want to laugh, this is a great game. There are many characters with funny things to say, like a tree who keeps calling you a murderer. Broken Age is filled to the brim with memorable lines and the voice acting is superb, which really brings the characters to life. Despite the seriousness of the events that engulf these characters, it’s nice to see it treated with finesse and hilarity.
                The art work also helps in that regard. It’s like a story book brought to life, with beautiful images flooding the screen at all times. It’s a joy to just look at the game in action.
                Where serious adventure game fans may have a problem is with how easy the game is. Even I can figure out the puzzles, so smarter people shouldn’t have a problem. The genre often tests the intellect of people and while there are definitely some head scratching puzzles here, and some are nonsensical, players shouldn’t have a hard time figuring out what to do next. The game is short, so experienced point-and-click adventure gamers should complete Act 1 pretty quickly.
                Some have criticized the ending because it’s abrupt, but I think it does a good job of making you crave the next act. More gameplay is always welcome so long as it’s interesting, and I think the game is a little overpriced, but Broken Age Act 1 managed to get my attention. I look forward to Act 2, which comes out later this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment