Wednesday 1 January 2014

My Top 40 Games of 2013, 10 - 1: R.I.P. 2013



Written By: Tyler Selig


                Hello everybody and Happy New Year! To start the year off, let’s remember the ten best games of 2013, according to me of course.


10: The Wonderful 101
                I’m going to rage a bit here. This Platinum Games superhero action game should have sold systems. People bitched about how the Wii U doesn’t have new IP and this interesting fast-paced beat ‘em up comes out and people don’t seem to care or even acknowledge that it exists. It’s one of the best games of the year and does something different with the genre, allowing your superheroes to form things like giant hands and whatnot. From the visuals, to the silly over-the-top humour, to the intense action, The Wonderful 101 really is wonderful and people shouldn’t sleep on this.


9: Fire Emblem: Awakening
From here on, you could switch any of these around and I’d be okay with it. It ultimately only came down to the mood I was currently in, since a lot of these are so entirely different than one another.
This is the first Fire Emblem game I’ve ever played and I was blown away.  I love tactical-RPGs, I love ‘job systems,’ and I love how deep the combat is in this game. One of the best RPGs of the year, by far.


8: Shin Megami Tensei 4
                This was also the first time I’ve played a Shin Megami Tensei core game. I also bought that other one that was finally release over here, but that was a tad dated. I loved what it was offering me though so I got really excited to play 4. It didn’t let me down at all… part Pokemon, part old-school RPG, it’s got incredible depth and a great story.


7: Batman: Arkham Origins
                I don’t care how many people want to say it’s too similar to Arkham City, or even that it sucks, this is another fine entry in an epic and legendary Batman video game series. Glitches aside – in which there were many when I played – it’s everything you could want from another Arkham game. Great villains, a logical story for why Batman is fighting so many villains at one time, and awesome gameplay that in some ways redefined the genre. No, it’s not a complete overhaul of the series, but since we don’t get one every year, I’m completely okay with that.


6: Bioshock: Infinite
                I think the first one may still be better, but this is another great Bioshock game. Wonderful story, solid game mechanics and dat mindfuck of an ending. It’s an accomplishment on pretty much every front.


5: Super Mario 3D World
                This game is just fun incarnate. It’s hard not to play this without a smile on your face, from all the references to games past, to the way the game works, it’s all on point. People can hate on Nintendo and all the Marios they release, but when Mario is at its best, there isn’t a platformer on the planet that can beat it. This is one of the best of the series, and that says a lot.


4: Path of Exile
                Free-to-play means shit right? Nope. Path of Exile is one of the best ARPGs of all time. It has your classic hack n’ slash action, but it does a few things different within the genre, such as having a barter system, or levelling up on something that is like the Final Fantasy X Sphere Grid. There is an incredible amount to love about Path of Exile. Did I mention it’s free?


3: The Last of Us
                It’s important to note, again, that from 9 on, any of these games could be number one but I believe in the integrity of the list so there has to be winners. The Last of Us was number one until right now, but I did a quick switch up. The Last of Us, like Bioshock: Infinite, is an accomplishment on everything. One of the best told stories of recent years, with memorable characters. One of the best soundtracks of the year. While some criticize the gameplay, I see absolutely nothing wrong with it. The Last of Us is one of the best PS3 games ever.


2: Killzone: Shadow Fall
                The bias is strong with this one. Killzone is my jam, I say it all the time. It’s a game I can sink hours into. I don’t know if this is the best one or not, but it does some things amazingly well, and they released a patch that fixes some of the issues I had with it. If you want a slower, Sci-Fi shooter, Killzone is where you should go.


1: Animal Crossing: New Leaf
                That’s right, I moved The Last of Us so I could put Animal Crossing: New Leaf as my number one. It’s mostly because it was a game I kept going back to for a couple months, whereas I basically only played The Last of Us for a while. Animal Crossing was my first real go at the series, since I only played the first one for a little bit, and I’m a huge fan now. But like I said, The Last of Us could be here, Super Mario could, Killzone, Fire Emblem, etc. Just depends on what genre I felt like playing at the time.


                And that’s it folks. I don’t know what 2014 is going to bring for me or this blog, but I hope you enjoyed my end of the year extravaganza.

No comments:

Post a Comment