Monday 27 January 2014

Global Game Jam 2014 - Gaggle, Invaders Inside Me, Growing World, Shifted, Nightdriving and Tintalating



Written By: Tyler Selig

Visit http://globalgamejam.org/

                It is that time of year again, when indie developers from all over the world submit their quickly made games to the Global Game Jam. This year the theme was, “we don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.” Trippy shit, let’s make a foreign movie about it.
                I forgot that it was going on this weekend, or else I probably would have played a few each day and made a post about them, but I do want to give it some recognition so I sat down today and played a few games. Luckily for you – or maybe not so luckily – I’m going to tell you what I think about them with short reviews!
                One final note: if you happened to stumble upon this blog and wonder why short, unpolished (not saying they all are, but some may be) games can get some of these ratings, it’s because I’m reviewing them in context. They have a short period of time to develop these, and so I judge them as so. I judge what they’ve accomplished, and I can get an idea of how talented these people are by that. Besides, these are like the short films of gaming… just because they aren’t long doesn’t mean they aren’t awesome.


Growing World
http://globalgamejam.org/2014/games/growing-world

Rating: 6/10

First of all, the developer is really cheap because he/she knows that you just got to throw the Moon Theme from Duck Tales into a game and any credible critic will knock the score up a point or two. Damn you for playing on human weakness!
Aside from that, I enjoy the game but don’t overly love it. The typical problems that exist for quickly made games fairly often are here, namely collision detection, but I do like the premise of viewing the world through three different ages, so I can definitely get behind the ideology behind this one. The gameplay just has you collecting what’s important, such as money for one of the ages, while music from other games blares in the background, which isn’t a criticism because there’s something oddly endearing about hearing the Moon Theme while you get dat money.


Shifted

Rating: 8/10

                Definitely enjoyed this. You wake up in a room and everything seems fine but it becomes clear that you need to get out. The door is locked, and there’s a penguin (?) in there with you, so what do you do? You press C to change perspective and all of a sudden everything is darker and bloodier.
                It’s very short, but it’s effective and perfectly fits the theme of this Jam. You basically just walk around in first-person and find a key, and I wish there was a little bit of music, but Shifted does a fine job.


Nightdriving

Rating: 2/10

                Damn, I really wanted to like this one. Surreal night driving? Sign me up. I love surrealism, but this made me want to smash my computer. The driving is terrible -- the camera moves too fast when you move your mouse so driving is just a pain in the ass. It’s a surreal game so I’m sure there’s something going on with the visuals that I’m missing, but it’s just too dark and the first time I played I got off the road and was just driving into the void, basically. There are a bunch of songs that you can switch between though, and they are pretty representative of night driving (I think), so there’s that. I would still avoid this one though.



Invaders Inside Me

Rating: 3.5/10

                It’s better than Nightdriving because at least there was a certain charm in this, meaning at first it was fun to see how I could kill the tenants. Unfortunately that wears off pretty quick and I played the web version and actually ended up crashing it. Oops.
                I like the idea of the apartment getting mad that there is invaders inside it, so it gets points for that. I could have done without the stupid voice acting, because it ended up being more annoying than anything.


Tintalating

Rating: 7.5/10

                In Tintalating you collect other colours and you have to use those colours to raise platforms so you can get across to the ending. I enjoyed it even though sometimes the platforming felt too light and wonky, meaning I’d miss a platform when I really shouldn’t have. But besides that, it’s a good idea and I really love the music that plays during it. I would like to see a longer version that can fully implement the idea because I think there are some interesting puzzles you could do with it.

Gaggle

Rating: 8.5/10

                Probably the neatest one I played today. The idea is that you need to get your, uh, creatures into the box at the end of the screen, but you have to choose what dying creatures to add to the genetic pool so you can evolve other creates to become capable of accomplishing the task at hand. That sounds more confusing than it really is. Gaggle is a wonderful puzzle-platformer with a novel idea.



                Well that’s it for me for this jam. There are tons of games I won’t get to play and I regret that I can’t play some games like Regret (oooooh), so what are some of your favourites? Let me know in the comments below or tweet me @ArtBathednCrime.

No comments:

Post a Comment